After 4 Months.... My Personal View:

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by mrlandscaping, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrlandscaping

mrlandscaping Banned

I have been reading these forums for the last 4 months, and while I have gained alot of useful information and tips..... in general I find this site to be for children and rather uneducated individuals.

With threads such as: "Who is Mowing July 4th?" or "What is your favorite perk of this business?" or "My Dream Pickup Truck is..." it is no wonder it is SO easy for a real business person to come into this industry and absolutely destroy the competition out there.

Now I am not saying that ALL posters here are like this, I truely respect a FEW names here, but in general....... people, we are not talking rocket science here: You supply a PROFESSIONAL image, You buy the good equipt, you mow straight, you do what you say you will, you pack up the trailer and MOVE ON to the next job...... that is the secret, that is all there is to it. If you can't get this straight, you are a dumb individual and the industry and homeowner is much better off without you out there.

I have been silent for months now, and I really feel this site would be alot better off if it CHARGED a fee to be a member, and get rid of all the 15 year old KIDS and uneducated 30 year old live at home still dweebs who suck out all the very very very valuable and should be private BUSINESS SECRETS that we REAL buiness owners have learned and practice.

We make the big money for a reason, and that reason is because some of us know how to SELL and RUN A BUSINESS, and some just have no place even trying to be in the same league as us.

Sorry, just how I feel.

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Let the flaming begin! :blob2:

Have you considered the fact that not everyone is the same? Not everybody has the same basic knowledge, and yes, there are tips and tricks to be learned. Have you considered, for example, the fellow that's just started his business out of necessity, and is here to learn HOW to be a pro? Way to contribute to the usefulness of the forum, pal.

3. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Mrlandscaping...

You seem to have quite a bit of hostility toward people you don't even know!!
    Let me say I feel everyone is free to express their opinions, and I understand that this is what you've done here.
    Now I'd like to do the same.
    If you feel Lawnsite is "in general .... for children and rather uneducated individuals", why have you bothered to read the posts for the past 4 months?

I notice you say you "have gained alot of useful information and tips"

So have I.
    Some of the advice I've been given from others here would have taken me quite some time to learn on my own.
    These are not "private BUSINESS SECRETS", if they were secret, who would be sharing?
    The people that share their "tips" here are obviously secure with their work.
    Are you?
    They are not worried that I will take all their customers simply because they share some ideas.

Are you?

This site is a great place for people in this profession to share ideas, thoughts, and comments.
    I, personally would love to know how others feel about this subject.
    Finally, Mrlandscaping, I hope you won't continue to waste your time with all us "children and rather uneducated individuals"
    Good Luck!

4. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Not everyone is going to agree with what is posted on this or any other forum, regardless of the industry. I can say this....

If industry forums existed when I first started my business more than 10 years ago, I would have avoided several costly mistakes and thought twice before making some important decisions.

Look at this site like a magazine if you choose... Skip over the articles that do not interest you and go right to what you want to read.

Either way, I think it would be hard to deny the value of a lot of the information that has been tossed around and discussed.

5. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

"I have been silent for months now"

Maybe it was better that way . . .

6. mrlandscaping

mrlandscaping Banned

And here we have the typical expected response.

If you think there should be NO trade secrets, or Business Practice Secrets..... you are in for a WORLD of hurt out there chap.

Again, I REPEAT myself for those that are not able to read and comprehend the first time: I think this site is great, and I have gotten useful things out of it..... I just can't for the life of me see this being taken as a SERIOUS business forum, not with the children posting here about how they are 14 and cut lawns with daddy's tractor and such.

My point: CHARGE a fee for the site membership, only allow registered business' to post (people with a FED TAX ID or SALES and USE TAX number)..... and get rid of the kids and scrubs.

We do not need there likes here, if we want this to be a respectable forum and taken seriously.

If you want to come across like a webiste that was desgined and run from someone's basement, than fine...... leave things as they are: But truely professional and useful this is NOT. (Not bad, but not what it could be.)

Don't get your panties in a twist.

7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You sound like the rantings that another lawn board that I won't mention lets there members get by with. So you have come over to the civilized lawnsite board to try to pull us down to your level by baiting us with your absurd comments.

Did you get bored putting down people on the other lawn board?

8. mrlandscaping

mrlandscaping Banned

You did EXACTLY as I thought you would...... people started getting all defensive and wound up over what I thought. (People, what I think, or what you think means NOTHING)

I think this site is very good and I just started professionaly a few years ago..... this site helped me learn things from how much to charge for mowing, mulching, hedges, etc..... trailer design and layout, advertising methods that work best, DOUBLE BLADES, etc etc..... A TON OF info.

However, what it LACKS is the business end of things... and that is something that I am VERY good at. I have owned 2 other companies, started from scratch and sold after starting and building up.

Take it from me, as far as a serious bunch of business owners.... most here are NOT. Starting a business mowing lawns cause it is fast cash because you lost your job at the factory is NOT the motive you should have.

While there may be some real great guys here, and know their machines inside and out, and offer great advice..... there are 1 in 1,000 that are GOOD BUSINESS OWNERS.

And THAT end of things people is a very very aggresive game.
    One that if you take offense to my original post, you should not be playing.

Point Made. Good Day.

9. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Which means squat. Could it be Stone or Deason from L&L?
    Some of you people will know what I mean.
    (A troll that stops by to stir up the pot.)
    Anybody that sweats and works hard in this biz,no matter what age,should have a voice. Sometimes to look for advice,blow off some steam,or take a POLL.
    mr... chill out a little.Looks to me like you're the one that has the undies in a twist.

10. mrlandscaping

mrlandscaping Banned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.