After Dylox treatment-how to get damaged areas back in shape

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikesturf, Sep 30, 2007.

1. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

TONS of grub damage in NW Suburbs of Chicago. Treating many lawns with Dylox. Outside of watering and keeping mowing height high any other tips on trying to get grub damaged areas back in shape. Hoping we don't need to re-seed or sod areas.

2. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year to deal with a lot of grub damage. It is horrible in many areas around here. Animals have rolled up turf in many spots. I think the grub/drought combo means re-seeding is the only possible solution.

3. EcoLawn  Inc.

EcoLawn Inc. LawnSite Member

Much of the rolled up turf you are seeing is most likely skunks digging to get the grubs. If the turf areas on many of your lawns isn't torn up too bad, just watering the damaged areas will do the trick. It's just like laying a new piece of sod. If the damaged sod gets enough water, it will regenerate new roots and start to grow again.

A common problem I have found over the years has been what people do after they get grubs. They end up ripping out the damaged areas and reseeding, but typically they don't know what type of grass they have and they plant a seed type that doesn't blend with what is currently in their lawn.

This is a great opportunity for you to sell them a grub preventative for next year.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto. Too often, customers get grub damage & riip out the turf before they call you. Treat with Dylox and have the customer water water water. Make sure they keep mending the rolled up turf everyday until the skunks, racoons, or opposums quit coming back. These varmants usually return each night to stir things up for 4 to 7 days after the Dylox has been thoroughly watered in (cuz they can even smell the dying grubworms while they're turning from white to grey & finally black), so it's imperative the homeowner keep patching up the turf on a daily basis.
    This way, the homeowner saves his damaged turf.

I treated one lawn today........he already stripped the damaged turf and applied some kind of grass seed????:dizzy:

5. EcoLawn  Inc.

EcoLawn Inc. LawnSite Member

Then, if the seed they planted does germinate, the next season they complain to you asking why the grass doesn't match and is off color. It's all about education. I spend a lot of time with my customers educating them on things that can and most times do, go wrong with their lawn.