1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

After Hydro Seeding I have this

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DirtRiderwjc2000, Jul 20, 2006.

1. DirtRiderwjc2000

DirtRiderwjc2000 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I had my new yard hydro seeded about a month ago. I have been water everyday except when it rains. I am not happy with the results, this is what the yard looks like now. What happened, solutions?

Front Yard

Back Yard

Side Yard

Close Ups
    Thank you
  2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Looks like crabgrass and nutsedge. Also looks like you have very poor soil and are overwatering. I see some rippling in the soil in one of the pics, which means alot of water from some source. Could be heavy rain, or to much from a sprinkler. I would say aerate the heck out of it in the fall and then overseed with a slit seeder. Spray the entire thing down with round up first.
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I second the aeration and slit seeding (late Aug) with a sunny mix. has bluegrass, pren rye and red fescue. does real good in this area. I would spray all the crabgrass with roundup before it goes to seed too. looks like a poor hydro seeding job, how much ground prep did they do? also not the best time of year to seed.
  4. DirtRiderwjc2000

DirtRiderwjc2000 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I thought he did a good job grading, He had tractor with a box and rakes. He says he will contact the seed guy and send him the pictures. I hope he takes care of it. Oh well I have been screwed before!!!

I really need to use round up a kill everything? How long do I want to seed after I use the round up?

Thanks for help
    I am in Brownstown, IN if anyone knows someone to help.

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Most important is that June, July are not the times to seed. Weed seeds will effect the outcome.
    Without more info I would say that you let the grass seed dry out even for just one day and the weeds took over. The ground looks smooth and hard and once that happens you might as well start over again. When you do water it then just runs the seed to low spots.
    Wait until late August- Sept when the weeds die off(or Round-up) and re-seed. By that time if you "forget " to water, the nights are cool enough to give the seed some moisture.
    You could re-seed after spraying round-up in 7-10 days.