after installing a system

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by AMonroe, Mar 25, 2003.

1. AMonroe

AMonroe LawnSite Member

After you install a new system do you offer the first winterizing and first spring startup free? Alot of companies down here do.I just wanted to know if you do what kind of written statement about that would you give them? Or how would you even write one?Any help would be great!

Amy
    :confused:

2. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

We offer both the first winterizing and the first start up..but we do not certify the backflow the second year for free (the initial certification is included with the install). We just tell our customers we will do it. I guess you could put it in your contract that these two features are included. It seems to make our customers happy...plus we are able to add them to our continuing customer list each and every year. Every install we have done, we get the service contract every year.

Steve

3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

We stopped the freebie winterizing years ago. Some still give it away and some don't. I don't know of anyone including the start up. The market is too tight to give a way or include over $100 of services with a new install. Only time I winterize for fre is if we do a job late Sept or beyond and the client is gonna get basically little to no use and we're glad for the install work.

The justification that several us us had that eliminated the freebie, was when you buy most anything new you don't get free service on it. No free tire rotations or oil changes on your car or truck, no free cleanings or seasonal service on your furnace etc. What we did was simply not write it in the contract. If they ask we tell them it is not included. If they ask why or say that others do it it I cite the reasons that I gave, basically system maintenace is not free but we do have a 2 yr warranty. It has not been a deal breaker.

4. AMonroe

AMonroe LawnSite Member

So you dont actually have it on paper that its included you just tell the customer.O.K I see. Thank you.

Amy

5. AMonroe

AMonroe LawnSite Member

Harold,

We are just starting up. I didnt include it but heard alot of people talk about it.There are no irrigation businesses around here its at least 40 miles to the closest one. I was just wanting to try to figure out if maybe to keep people from going out of town for service if that would be a good idea till we get our name built up some.

Amy

6. HBFOXJr

Why would they go 40 mi out of town for service. You will service what your sell as well as others,won't you?

7. AMonroe

AMonroe LawnSite Member

Yes, We will service what ever we install or don't install. But every body is so use to calling these big companies to come down here.We are just starting out and are small. We cant compete with the larger companies on somethings and most of them around here offer the winterizing and first spring startup free on there new installations. I guess I was just thinking that if I included that on our installation they would see that we offer the same as the bigger companies and would give us a shot then we could show them what pride we take in our systems and word of mouth would get out.Understand what Iam saying? Hope I didn't confuse ya.

Amy

8. HBFOXJr

Do what you have to do. Factor it in the price.

9. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

why not just figure it in to the cost of the new installation and charge accordingly and then list it as standard if someone then wants to negotiate the on the price or jack you around for a couple of bucks take the winterization out of the standard price.

10. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

we include the winterization with the install. with our deluxe package, we include the closing and activation. ofcourse, we charge for it.

upsell, upsell, upsell.

most companies offer the closing and a 1-3 year warranty.

amonroe,

if the closest game in town is 40 miles away, i think you might find out that your business will grow quick.

just my .o2

brian