After market air filter kits

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by J&JPROPERTY, Jul 30, 2002.

1. J&JPROPERTY

J&JPROPERTY LawnSite Member

I am looking for a way to increase air flow on my lazer z, 23 hp kaw, I was hoping to find an after market air intake kit, but as of yet I've had no luck. My other option I was thinking about (I have the 23 hp Kaw with the square top filter cover FH680D) running an intake hose from the side opening and bringing it out to the side more , thus hopefully forcing more air into the intake with out making the engine work as hard. I had seen one company actually rigged dual intakes with radiator hose and they said it worked great. Question ...is it possible or is there an aftermarket kit available? Any idea or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks Joe

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Joe,

My recommendation would be to NOT make your own kit. If it doesn't work and the engine fails from dirty air it could be a very expensive lesson in why air filtration is so critical in a lawnmower.

The good new is that I just got off the phone with Kawasaki and their new canister air filters are now available for the 23 and 25 with kits for the smaller engines coming soon. Just give your dealer a call and he should be able to order what you need.

Thanks

Terry

3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Keeewwwwwwwwwlll!!!!!! Let us know when they come out for the smaller engines, pretty please. Specifically 19HP for me.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I suspect that you would have to go far faster than 9.5 mph in order to get any kind of "ram" effect from the hose(s). You could rig up a blower of sorts for your engine though. Let's see, a 23 Kaw is 675 cc divided by 16.387 to get 41.19 cubic inches. Multiply 41.19 by 3600 (the expected max rpm) by .75 (volumetric efficiency) and you get 111,213. Divide that by 3456 and you get a CFM requirement of 32. What that means is the engine will use 32 cubic feet of air per minute at 3600 rpm naturally aspirated. Now if you can get more air and fuel into the engine at the same rpm the engine will make more power. The cheapest way I can think of is to go to Home Depot and buy the cheapest handheld gas powered blower they have. Even the cheapest blower blows well in excess of 100 cfm. Rig the blower up so it blows into the air intake on the Kawasaki air filter housing. Start the Kawasaki engine, rev it to 3600 rpm, start the blower, let it run wide open and then go and cut down some trees. I can virtually guarantee that you will make more power. The Kawasaki may only last for 10 minutes before it throws a rod but it will be the best 10 minutes you ever had. ;)