After market clock

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jim@MilkyWay, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

OK Guys 'N Gals
    I have axed small engine and auto/farm suppliers around here and have not gotten help. Radio Shack _may_ have sumpin' but not in Poe Dunksville.
    I am curious just how many hours, each season I spend cutting with my respective machines, none of which are commercial. To that end, I want a add-on clock to connect to my ignition so I can count off the hours. I try to notice as I work, but every single time I just get interrupted or forget, and I bet it would simplify matters if the clock stopped right where it is when ignition is off then cranks back up at ignition on. Just like on a REAL mower.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

We use these on our rental equipment and have had good luck with them, I also use one to set up new machines and check rpm during tune-ups.
    These detect ignition from the spark plug wire so no power supply is needed.
    http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/gasoline.php

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Tiny-Tach is the BEST there is.

4. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

They might be, but this does not look good to me:

Estimated battery life is 5+ years — not replaceable.

Not going to pay 36 bucks x 5 for that. :)

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, If you prefer to cut holes and hard wire maybe this one is up your alley.

http://www.pressureparts.com/Pressure-Part-358464.aspx

6. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, that 7 bucks a year is waaaay too high. i'd rather let oil changes go by, and have engines run too slow. much cheaper in the long run. that 7 bucks could buy a pitcher of beer down at the tavern. much better investment.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Haven't had a battery fail yet.

Who keeps mowers more than 5-6 years anyway?

8. JJ Lawn

I have a Walker that I bought in 96..... I still use. It runs just as good as my 2000 model.

There is no reason a mower will not last longer than 5-6 years if you take care of it.

I for one do not like to throw my money away.........:usflag:

9. JJ Lawn

Fine, you replace them every 5 years ....if the battery does last that long. I would rather have one that is a little more reliable...... not estimated. And I don't drink......

10. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx guys
    I hit the floor running today, have not paused since, and don't have time even still to have a look. Might get a chance tonight after I take care of a few more items.