After Market Oil Filters for Kohler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SamIV, Jan 7, 2004.

1. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you use or recommend after market oil filters for Kohler engines. I'm tired of paying over $7.00 for an oil filter. Fram, Purolator, Wix, and Napa have a substitute.

Thanks
    Sam

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using a NAPA filter on my Kohler 25 for 5 years now. Still runs great. The only problem is the NAPA costs $10. But the Kohler is $12 and no dealers carry this kind anyways. Napa always has a couple in stock.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

..Napa gold around $7.00

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Rotory about 600.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We always use aftermarket filters. They are all the same in my book. I only use known brands though. :cool:

6. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I only use Kohler filters. Maybe they are the same. But I am not going to chance it.
    I guess its that while I was in the car business I saw what kinds of problems can come from using aftermarket filters.
    Ours had a double check valve system and the aftermarkets didnt.
    They used cheapers filter material also. I just cant bring myself to chance it for just a couple dollars savings.

7. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Although the Fram is $2.99, from the prices all of you are paying, guess I'm not paying that much after all. Think I'll just stick with the Kohler.

Thanks,
    Sam

8. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I use Hastings premium on all my machines.... Just make sure the filter is speced for that application so the by pass valves have the correct pressure and will work correctly and that it's a good quality filter.........

9. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

we use after market filters that are cheaper...it does suck paying twice as much for a name brand filter.....(aka) brigs, kohler, kaw
    however filters are just important as anything the better filters remove more and smaller sized contaminants that cause engine wear. lots of people think a filter is a filter which in dont believe.
    If it was up to me i would try to find the best filter to use not the cheapest

10. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Wix, Napa and Car Quest are the same filters. The numbers are even the same except for the first 2 or 3. We run Wix and Napa on all our equipment from the mowers to the Dozers. Buy em by the case and save some cash. Our Napa and Wix dealer cut us a big break on filters. We now save over 50%. J-Thomas also has some good deals on filters.