After root ball removal: best backfill method

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by dovetail, Sep 18, 2010.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We frequently fill weird holes with gravel.

It's your call.

I will say this, and I know this thread has some age to it, so it may be too late:

MAKE SURE THE PROSPECTIVE KNOWS HOW YOU PLAN TO TACKLE THIS. This will make them feel more comfortable with you and will help you win the contract.

When we do things like this (fill stump holes, post holes, etc) I state it in the proposal. Then I go one step further and I will put the sentence in blue or red font so it stands out. Little details make all the difference.

2. dovetail

dovetail LawnSite Member
    from va

Client says OK. So, concrete is the way to go.

3. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

I don't think you understand what he means by flowable fill. It's also called "slurry" or "lean concrete" by some. It's typically a 1 bag mix, or less, where a typical footing mix is around a 5 bag mix. More cement always equals more expense, thus the flowable fill is actually always cheaper.

It's also the more responsible route, as your not wasting the customer's money needlessly, wasting a valuable resource, and flowable fill is far easier to excavate in the future. I can't think of one downside to using it in a case like this.

4. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Just one question DVS: No matter what you do you won't be able to compact the surrounding sub-base to the density of the concrete, so if there is any settlement or slight movement of any kind in the ground your concrete fill won't move. Coudn't this cause disproportionate movement of the patio or wall above it?
    I assume you cover the concrete with the same depth of compacted gravel as the rest of the area, but it's kind of like you are building part on a flexible base and part on a ridgid footer.
    I'm not knocking your system, just never heard of doing it this way. If you've never had a problem with it I might have to consider adding this to my bag o' tricks.

5. DVS Hardscaper

Not so fast there, Tiger.

Round here - Flowable fill is more dinero.

6. DVS Hardscaper

There is no magic to this. Not that dramatic. We're talkin filling a hole - not medical science :)

If a patio is being constructed, it's assumed that the soil is stable with no possibility of settlement.

The concrete can be stopped 8" from the top of you like.

Some folks hang their toilet paper over the front - some hang it over the back.

7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

the ground is ALWAYS moving through thaw freeze cycles. Concrete will not expand and contract through that the same as the surrounding soil. I t would seem to me not to be a good idea to do but if it works for you. I never put anything under a paver patio that will not have even lifts to it. But that is just me.

8. DVS Hardscaper

To each his own. Wanna use gravel - then use gravel. Wanna use jelly beans - the use jelly beans. I really don't care. 14.5 yrs and we use concrete, problem free. Nowhere do I tell anyone what to do. Just sharing how my fine enterprise does it.

Pavers are placed over concrete slabs all the time. A gazillion scenerios.

A typical winter In MD / VA may entail 1 deep freeze for maybe a week. Usually pretty mild.

9. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

no problems laying over a slab. Were not talking about a slab.

10. DVS Hardscaper

Hence, the qualifier line: "a gazilion scenerios"

Regardless, who cares. If theres a way that you think is better - then do it.

I simply shared a method that works for us. "US", a company with hundreds of sucessful jobs under our belt. Don't Like it - whoopie. Like it - Great!

I feel like we're at a meeting in a room full of PTA moms.............

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010