After root ball removal: best backfill method

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by dovetail, Sep 18, 2010.

1. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 LawnSite Member

Split the diff and over excavate for your base like it was gonna be a driveway base and you will have more protection from movement.

Fill the hole with cement and stop short of the top if you wish (like dvs said) or go all the way, everywhere with base (like the others said). Properly compacted soil is the key also. Rent a drum roller if you have to first...lol...

I've done both and had great results either way. We are in Western Pa and it's darn cold for a long time here. We spents weeks in single digits last winter-spring check on some customers and all was good.

Am I going to be sorry I got in this-probably...lol

2. shooterm

shooterm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We have no problem backfilling with clay and jumping jacking a trench like his size. Of course theres different regional clays but unless its gumbo crap I can't see why its a problem.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm.....I think you're on to something that all these geo-technical engineers don't know :cool2:

4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

havent we all learned yet? There is only 1 way. One opinion.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't that what the rest of the patio will be sitting on? Certainly you are not suggesting excavating the entire patio area to a 3 foot depth, then filling it up with concrete?

And FYI ... not all clays are equal.

Now there is the pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:

6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

The only advantage i see to concrete is water. That is why i wouldnt want to fill the hole with a large process for example. Its like creating a swimming pool with a clay liner. But i am with you. Dig out for a base, use the material to fill the hole and jump it. Then move on with your lifts. Apparently people use concrete. I will not. I want all my lifts to be of equal thickness and expand and contract the same. Having said that, i would have no problem laying on a slab. As long as its in good shape.

7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

hahah here comes know it all #2. :hammerhead:

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I've forgotten more about soils then you will ever know boy.

9. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

hahhah now im "boy" hahahah Ok DAD

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Now we're going from a cavity in the ground to general patio base prep???

Ok, so to hell with ICPI's classes and tests regarding soils??

Folks, there is a HUGE difference between VIRGIN clay soil that has never been touched, never been loosened - verses DISTURBED Clay soil. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Kiril - I hear ya! Excavating all the clay soil out is not realistic in terms of a residential patio. Leave the soil undisturbed. If you excavate too much - don't put it back, leave it out and backfill with crusher run. Although, the proper method would be to excavate the unsuitable soil according to ICPI as well as most geotechnical engineers. In which case a $9000 patio would turn into a $21,000 patio :)

Punt - You're confusing opinions/theory with facts Click on my user name and do a search on all my posts Review my posts and you'll see clearly when I state my opinion and you'll see that when I share our experiences I always invest the extra effort and qualify my statements The other day you made negative comments about this forum as a whole Kinda like agressive drivers always say everyone else on the highway doesnt know how to drive Honestly the negative comments from you are making you look like a miserable bitter individual Cheer up little fella spring will be here soon :)