After root ball removal: best backfill method

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by dovetail, Sep 18, 2010.

1. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

there you go again. You just cant do it. You will get there little buddy. Keep trying. Also, quote me if your going to say such nonsense. You want me to "read all your posts" (snicker) but you wont quote.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ignoring the proper way to do it .... use the same soil that will be under the rest of the patio .... and compact it to match.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, but clay is too fine.

It's a fact that it doesn't compact to proper density.

Whereas crusher run does.

Thus, the professional contractor who has used crusher run has piece of mind knowing all is well and chances of a call back are slim.

When you're talking compensating for over-excavating or filling a cavity - on a professional industry forum - it's best to dispense the correct information :)

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't say compact it to a "proper" density, I said compact it to match the rest of the soil that the patio will be sitting on.

Then you best explain why someone cannot compact a back filled soil to the same density as the exact same undisturbed soil that is 5 feet away.

5. DVS Hardscaper

How on earth can one compact to the same density? How do you know what that density is? What, are you gonna have a geo-tech come in with a nuke gauge and get a reading on the undisturbed soil? With that said - I won't be providing you with any explanation as I believe this is where wisdom and common sense come in.

To recap -

When we have a DEEP or LARGE cavity - it gets filled with concrete. Over that goes crusher run. And on the crusher run goes a beautiful patio where people share many laughs and good times with friends and family.

When we excavate - what is disturbed stays out. Doesn't go back in.

That's how we do it.

Welp my friends, I think this topic has run it's course and probably by now the initiator of the topic is near finished his project and hopefully made a decent profit :)

Lookin forward to the next topic. See you there :)

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Well, if you are asking that question, then maybe you are in the wrong line of work.

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Builder's construct homes on top of fill dirt and ya'll are discussing a little hole + whatever else for 5 pages......cute :) Okay, back to football.

8. DVS Hardscaper

They sure do! And back in the early 90's one of them had to tear a house down and start over!

9. Moneypit

Moneypit LawnSite Member

That builder should be shot.

10. DVS Hardscaper

Back in 2000 we had a builder whom we landscaped and sodded all his homes.

He is a custom builder known for quality.

But - he was also very stingey with the dollar.

He was finishing one of his communities. Down to 3 or 4 lots remaining. They dug a foundation for a home, had no where to put the soil......so they moved the soil across the street to another lot and backfilled to a depth of about 6-feet!!! No Compaction either!!! Then about 6 months later they built a house on it!!!! I could NOT believe it. It was wrong and selfish. Here some unsuspecting person bought that lot and has a home on it suseptable to failure all because of the builder's selfishness.

Companies like Jiffy Lube change people's oil and screw up the threads on the drain plug. Or they dont tighten the filter. Doesn't mean it's an acceptable practice.

Same goes for our jobs. It costs me money to go out and repair a patio. We have a very low call back rate. And I like to think thats attributed to our high standard of methods and practices.