After root ball removal: best backfill method

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by dovetail, Sep 18, 2010.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Compacted, you can build on fill. Not doing so, that's negligence. Given the choice, it's most ideal to avoid.
  2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

yes you can. It is sone here all the time. But we build REAL foundations up here.
  3. shooterm

shooterm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have no clue why clay cant be used as fill. I cant understand how so many engineers and inspectors are wrong. They really should be on the internet more. I totally understand the over doing it and billing accordingly approach though.
  4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

QUIET EVERYBODY. QUIET! QUITE.......I think I hear dueling banjos.......

5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

there is that self righteousness again.
  6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

6 pages????? You got to be kidding me???????

Pull the stump out. Dig out any loose soil in the hole and try to get a nicely dug uniformed hole. Lay down woven fabric in the hole. Fill hole with 2.5" crushed stone and compact in lifts. Cover top of stone with more fabric and then do normal base. Easy as that.

Hell, we just dug a 14' deep hole in the middle of a patio we are currently building. Builder burried construction debris 20 years ago in this spot. We dug it out and put 125 tons of 2.5" in the hole.

NEVER re compact excavated dirt on a patio job. That makes no sense. Your better off having 18" of stone on one side of the patio and 8" on the other then trying to compact clay.

Hardscaping is not that hard, you just have to use your brain, and when it doubt dig alittle deeper and buy more stone.
  7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Well Rusk-a-roni - our buddy Punt likes to hear herself talk.

BTW Rusk-a-roni - you old coot, we thought you died and went to Hardscape Heaven!
  8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

really, and you still continue. interesting. hahahhaah:hammerhead: