After several demos of many different brands of mowers this one is the best for me !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJB, Jul 6, 2008.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I want to thank everyone who participated in helping me make my mind up on my next mower. I know there is more than 1 mower brand that would have worked but I am very satisfied with my choice. I went back to Exmark which has lasted me the longest, and had the best cut in my area. Only this time went with the lighter version being the Lazer Z Advantage Series with a 28hp Kawi and 60" U/C deck. I can tell right off that all my smaller jobs 2 acres or less with all the obstacles this mower is hard to beat especially mulching. I shaved a lot of time off everyjob I did Friday which was 2 days worth of mowing on the 4th because my Hustler is in the shop AGAIN !!!!. I beat the normal time that it would take with the 66" Hustler. This mower is so nimble and quick that I was in an out of the normal pain in the butt jobs. Cut quality was great. I'm waiting on my Suspension seat and stripe roller but what a great little mower. My 2nd choice would have been the Cub Cadet Tank as it has a great cut also, but dependability and service was an issue so went with what I felt was best for me.

2. MJB

from Wa

I forgot to post the pictures. If anyone is seriously looking at 52 to 60 " ZTR's check out an Exmark Lazer AS they will go uphill or downhill as good as any.

Exmark Lazer Z AS 004.jpg

Exmark Lazer Z AS 006.jpg

Exmark Lazer Z AS 005.jpg

3. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats! Hope it will last you as long as the others.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Congratulations!!!! I didn't want to tell you what to do but you did have 3500 hrs on your last Exmark. Keep us informed on how it's doing. I've never mulched with one. Many say that the Exmark is jerky but I say it is just very responsive. Best of luck to you.

:clapping:

5. MJB

from Wa

Funny thing happened (not funny at the time though). I knew I was on borrowed time my Exmark has 3800 hrs now, and 750 on my Hustler. 1st thing Weds morning my Exmark broke down an electrical short can't figure it out yet. I push it on the trailer get it home an my phone rings it's the wife say the Hustler blades keep going off. So off I go and can't fix it, take it home unload it crawl under it the deck the motor is sitting is cracked between 2 openings and the vibration shorted out the clutch pigtail. So I loaded the mower up and hauled it 100 miles while making calls for a new mower. The only company that I could find that late in the day about 1pm July 3rd that would help me get a mower so I could go back to work was Exmark. So I dropped off my Hustler and got a loaner a 60 Kubota Diesel ZD26, and then drove over to the Exmark dealer right at closing time and signed papers and left with the new mower. Problem was had no mulch kit or mulch blades, so I took an old mulch kit and put it on off my other Exmark, set the pitch grabbed the blades off my old Exmark wooops they have a different spindle on the new Exmark huge hole in the new blades. So I put on the side discharge medium lifts that came with it and by then it was 12:30 am. Irt worked great mowed 2 days of lawns way faster than my Hustler. Better cut less wasted time and very responsive or quick , light, and nimble. Also used the Kubota on some open areas I would never buy one though what a Tank.
    Anyway it all worked out but people were calling wednesday asking where I was , were having a party you have to have it mowed before noon! I made it but worked from 7am to 6pm.

6. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

That's not correct. The Exmark won't hold a candle to the Scag on hills, I've had three Lazer's. That's why I switched to Scag for the hill capabilities. I usually cut across the hill which saves time and the Scag has yet to slip. My Exmark's would slide like they were on ice, even the 72" I had. However, they are excellent machines and I had really good service but I needed a better riding machine and one better on hills.:drinkup:

7. MJB

from Wa

Yaa yaa yaa...hear we go again. What size Lazers ? The AS ? I know Scag hold the hills very well so do Kubota and Hustler, and Tank . This Exmark surprised me being it was lighter than my old Exmark and would back up some pretty steep hills. But I can't have a machine that weighs that much makes for too many ruts which are becoming an issue on these over watered lawns. Besides that the Scag is only as good as the dealer and nobody wants to carry them out here, the ones that do want you to order it.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

If it hold hills well enough for you that's all that matters. Sounds like you made a good choice. Customer support is everything (or a lot anyway).

9. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

The first two were 60" and 72" liquid cooled and again, were great machines. I agree with Tacoma, it depends on what works for you. Up north is different than down here. For my use, I found that the Scag did everything better on my properties, especially steep slopes. I have excellent service with both Exmark and Scag dealers so, I have the pick of the litter. The dealership does make a difference and Exmark is a great company to work with. Good luck!

10. Itzkcatz

Itzkcatz LawnSite Member
    from CT

you will love that mower, i have a triton version i hate, but i love the ultracuts