After your done mowing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by NYLAWNMAN01, Jun 13, 2007.

1. NYLAWNMAN01

NYLAWNMAN01 LawnSite Member

I was on my route today at work (have a route with poland spring water) and I pulled up to one of my customers houses and they had just had there lawn cut and I noticed the landscaper was standing in the lawn with the blower blowing all the clippings into the street and then moving on to the next house. Is this tne norm for blowing the clippings, just blow them into the street and leave them?

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

blowing on to the road is not normal, atleast not for me however we do blow them IN to the lawn some times when its clumpy or a slight build up on top of the lawn. The blower helps disperse them deeper in to the lawn.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. SpfdTurfMasters

SpfdTurfMasters LawnSite Member
    from MO

Blow it in the road if its a busy road, it gets swept away pretty quick by the cars

4. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Blow them back into the grass,kinda like mulching? I dont think the neighbors would appreciate junk in the street. It would look a whole lot better when you drive away. :confused:

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

even blowing into a busy road is a no no... blow it back into the lawns or take 2 seconds to scoop it up. Unlike every other lco in our area we contain leaves. We dont just leave leaves and clippings curb side. Sometimes we leave them bagged at the curb for city pick up.

leaving them un contained or just blowing them into the road is not only unproffesional but it creates debris lined streets which is unattractive.

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have seen companies that I thought were reputable blowing clippings into the street in high dollar neighborhoods. I don't see how they get away with it. I would never do that for all the obvious reasons.

7. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

Clippings in the road are illegal here.

8. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

same here ^. you get slapped with a $400 fine if caught.

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I imagine it is here too. Don't know for sure, but Florida is like that. Doesn't matter to me though because I wouldn't do it.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Just leaves a horrible appearance and risks blowing something else (small rock, stick, etc.) at a passing car..........definitely wouldn't do it myself