Aftermarket Air-Con for Cat Skid

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Squizzy246B, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing my 246B didn't have when we bought it was aircon. However the dealer owned the machine (not Cat) and it had two hours on the clock. We managed to get a 4 in 1 bucket fitted in the deal but the machine was already $9K off the new price. We decided to go without the A/C and have fitted the side windows since. I can get the front door made up no problems.

The price of retrofitting A/C with Cat was horrendous. I was quoted $6000.00 AUD for an aftermarket kit which is basically very similar to the Cat kit. (about $4,400.00 US)

Its not the hot or cold that bothers me its the rain and the dust. The latter is getting to me as we are coming into summer. I came home last night absolutley covered in dust and the cab of the machine is just orange. On top of this the seat switch has got dust in it and now needs replacing.

Does anybody know of a bolt on 12volt A/C unit that could mount on the roof of the cab??. I'd be prepared to import from the states if anybody knows of a reliable unit. TIA.

2. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Hey squizz...I don't think so but let me check with my salesman, he will tell me striaght up....this sound like the same converstaion I had with him, it went like Yeah I know its more money but if you think you would ever want A/C get it now....I passed also but I do have the cab and heater since we use it to plow snow with.

3. Squizzy246B

Yep..its much cheaper to order from the factory when you place the order but I didn't have that option. I'm just thinking that if I can get a little positive pressure in the cab that will help a lot. I may have some issue with ROPS/FOPS bringing air in through the roof but I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

4. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

get ya a big fan...the 257 even has a place to plug in your cell phone or whatever to charge it or run 12v stuff.....

5. Squizzy246B

Yep, most of the "B"s have one down near fuse panel, one up behind year head and one on the outside near the left rear light for plugging in your rotating/magnetic beacon. A fan will be good but I'm hoping to find a small A/C to bring the temp down as well. Also a fan will not pressure the cab at all.

6. Squizzy246B

I found this one in the Netherlands but I don't know wether it would be robust enough for a skid. Also the height may be a problem:

http://www.dcairco.com/

Click on products then "Trucks"

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Here you go Squizzy heres a link to aftermarket AC www.dometic.com

Click on the Commercial Vehical link and they have air conditioners that sit on the roof.

I tried searching the manufacture of the air conditioning unit that was on the garbage compactor I was running last year I couldn't find any info. The air conditioner crapped out on the machine so you can imagine the stink in the summer time of rotting garbage. It was either sweat to death in the cab or suffer with the smell with the doors open.

You can also try www.espar.com

8. Squizzy246B

Thanks Rat, the domestic link doesn't appear to have any 12 volt stuff but the other one does.

Thanks again.

9. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

10. Squizzy246B

Tnmtn, Thanks..I emailed them..not sure what to make of a company, in Canada where it gets cold as, marketing a system called Arctic Wolf knows about airconditioning for Australia but we will find out:D .