aftermarket blades for Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Apr 30, 2004.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

How do the aftermarket blades such as those sold by J. Thomas compare to the original excaliber blades that come on Exmark mowers? Also, are the original blades high lift on an Exmark? My mower is a 60" Lazer Z.
  2. tacoma200

Would appreciate any advice. I not sure if I should pay a premium for Exmark blades or try an aftermarket. What brand blades have you had luck with? Exmark owners give me a hand here.
  3. D Fricks

D Fricks LawnSite Member

J- Thomas blades work fine I sharpened the blades all the way down to the bolt hole. saves lots of money if you have the extra time for grinding.
  4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I usually stick with exmark blades. I had some cheaper ones and they dulled out ALOT faster. After one day of using mulching blades they were about as sharp as the back of the blade, but rounded off. I do not have any of these problems with exmark blades. I am not sure (will know for this article i will write on this subject) But i think grinding them past a certain point will cause the blades to creat less lift and/discharge capability. Dont quote me on that though. I just think i heard that somewhere before.
  5. tacoma200

Thanks for the advice. I really like the way the original blades throw the clippings and cut. I rarely ever have any grass stick to the deck. If I get gators for this fall would anyone recomend high or medium lift?
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

All the aftermarket blades I've used work great. Anderson, Oregon (Blue Streak), whatever Lesco carries, etc.. I change my blades frequently enough, that "length of time the blade stays sharp" is really not an issue.