Aftermarket Thumb Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by thepawnshop, Mar 21, 2006.

1. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I played a bit more on my buddy's 50D today and I have to admit, I was not too impressed with the Deere hydraulic thumb. So I am looking at aftermarket thumbs and was hoping some of you folks may have some suggestions. I like this one, it seems pretty stout, but the placement of one of the hydraulic hoses seems like it may easily get damaged:

Lemme have it...who makes the best aftermarket thumbs?!?!?

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

Try rockland manufacturing or weldco beals. I just got a 36" tooth bucket from Weldco Beals and it is awsome bucket. I am not sure if they make a thumb but you can see.
  3. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

What was it that you didn't like about the Deere hydraulic thumb????
  4. thepawnshop

The hydraulic cylinder looks very thin and "light-duy". I actually think it is a C&P thumb, though. The teeth and the actual thumb apparatus look's just the may be quite stout, but it definately doesn't look it.

Do you have one (a John Deere)?
  5. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Don't have excavator ,but looking at them????????? Do have Deere CTL 332

Werk Berk (spelled something like that) use to make sturdy buckets and thumbs
  6. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

So was the actual performance of the thumb not up to par, or does it just look like a weak link?
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you are going to order a new machine from Deere order it with a bare stick no buckets and go to a aftermarket company to supply you with a thumb and quick connect. For use in the B.C. and Pacific Northwest area we have companies like CWS that make quick connects,buckets and thumbs.

You don't want a thumb that welds to the stick you want something like on the CWS Page.
  8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Pawnshop that is a very good observation. I have seen many JD mini's go through auctions with the thumbs bent, broke and twisted. I also did not care for the quick attach if you can call it that. As some one mentioned, I have used Werk Brau buckets, QC and thumb on my last two excavators. My only ***** about the thumb is I wished it articulated further, however it sucks up tight against the stick and so it is very nice to dig with which is unusual with a thumb. The WB manual QC is the best on the market that I have found. Very quick, safe, and secure. The WB stuff costs money but it is quality. The factory JD thumb and QC is without a doubt a POS. The buckets are also very light duty.
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

10. thepawnshop