Afternarket spindles for wright sentar RH 36"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Jul 14, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I have been looking into replacing the spindles on the Lesco WB because I can no longer get the parts to rebuild them and the Scag spindles seem to fit the bill. They are different from the ones you need, they only have a 1 inch shaft and take the same bolt. Here is a link to what Stens sells in your size, a little more info.....

http://www.stens.com/Portal.aspx?CN=89739E31F846

As long as the height and shaft size are correct I'd go for it. Only Stens is out there on their price as well......

3. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

the issue with the 36'' RH spindles is that they are not a through bolt design, nor can you use a through-bolt spindle due to the deck cover. if you find an aftermarket spindle that isn't of the through-bolt design you'd be good. I tried to find one but didn't have much luck

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes that one can be modified to work and I can get it all day at around $50. The exact fit one is scag p/n= 461776 but I can't find aftermarket for it. It is the zcat spindles

I am running a scag spindle and bolt goes thru and it works....well it is worn out. I just thought I could find an exact aftermarket part....no luck $195 for the wright ones is out of the question since you can't grease them.

5. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmm what part # scag spindle?

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

They may be expensive but the new style Wright spindles have been holding up really well. I just recently replaced the first one I have had go bad on a new machine under warranty. Not a RH one but they are basically all the same spindle now just different shafts.

Sold a fair number of the RH conversion kits(the 71460115) and cant seem to remember selling more to anyone...other than replacing all 2 or 3 spindles on their machine over time.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

P/n= 461663 is scag number and you goggle it and find many aftermarket
    for around $50. You have to cut the shank on top side but it is something that can be done with angle grinder. I will put up pictures when I get the spindle.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A little followup on getting a scag spindle into a sentar. Remember the reason is you can get aftermarket scag spindles that cost less than $60 and the sentar ones are about $200.

And in my case I just happened to get 2 used scag spindles out of
    the shop scrap pile so.....all I need in this case is a 1 1/8 taper adapter
    since that is the size of the spindle shaft

112.jpg
    This is what I call the taper adapter. If I had got a 1" shaft spindle that is used on most scag WB I wouldn't have needed anything.

113.jpg

The bolt holes are exactly the same and it comes in from the bottom

114.jpg
    This what it looks like in place. I did have to wack about an inch off
    the top of the spindle and that is why you see so many threads. I could have cut off the bolt also.
    115.jpg

You can see it is tight when the deck is all the way up. That nut is about
    .005" away from the arm. You put bolt in and nut on with deck in a lower position.

116.jpg

117.jpg

So for this deal I will be buying one bolt and shim. I will show you the shim that goes underneath to move the blade into place even with the side that has the sentar spindle.

112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Another chapter on using scag spindles on sentar. The reason is you can get aftermarket spindles for around $75. I recommend you get one with 1" diameter shaft then the sentar pulley and adapter can be used. One thing you have to do is cut 1" off the spindle shaft. One other little thing you have to do is put a 1/4" shim under each of he four mounting bolts to lower the spindle in the housing. This is necessary so when you put the pulley on it lines up with the idler..

143.jpg

The main reason I went this route is I had several used scag spindles that didn't cost me anything. You can get em from dealer often times.

143.jpg

10. Dvasqz6

Dvasqz6 LawnSite Member

Why buy the spindle when you can just buy the bearing for it is cheaper