ag tires on a ztr

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by justartnout, Jun 1, 2006.

1. justartnout

justartnout LawnSite Member

A buddy of mine said that runnin ag tires on his scag would help prevent tearing the grass up when turning. Anyone else run ag tires with the same results. I have factory tires on my scag and he says the ag tires will take care of it..

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of ag tires.....the Turf tires are about as gentle as you can get with out getting a smooth tread. Some times you just gotta slow down when making turns....

3. MowForLess

MowForLess LawnSite Member

3 words. 3 point turn.

That is until you get to where you can keep the wheels moving throughout the 180 degree turn.

4. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

AG turns would most likely just tear the yard up worse. Just slow down when you are making turns.

5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I agree completely that bar lug tires do not damage the turf.
    I run them on all of my 36" wb pulling velkies and have begun retro fitting these tires on to my three ztrs.
    The tires are more durable, resist the mesquite thorns which are very prevalent where I operate at, and provide much more traction on slopes.
    All this being said, you do have to be careful to slow down before turning, regardless of the tire type you are running.

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

If your talking about the soft lugs (like Dixie choppers use) then yes they are great tires. They work great in wet areas and they don't leave the dark colored wheel tracks in the turf (more of a even color stripe). The only problem is finding them in a variety of sizes. I can't find any to fit a 52" Hustler. They are one of the few things I miss about my Dixie Chopper.

Here is a picture of stripes using a soft lug (turf boss) tire. Notice there isn't the dark lines on each side of the stripes that most turf tires leave.

DSCF0017.jpg