Agaist an Empire!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S&M Lawn Care, Sep 20, 2006.

1. S&M Lawn Care

S&M Lawn Care LawnSite Member

In my city there is a lawn care business who dominates the market. I am rather new. I would like to get some of his commercial & residential clients to switch over to my service. Can someone please give me some suggestions on what to do to try to convince some of these people and businesses to switch to my service. Like what should i include in a letter? Should i schedule a visit with the owner? Should i offer a much lower price? Please any help would be wonderful.

2. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Once you get the ball rolling for yourself, maybe we should also help a person out to get some of your clients that you worked so hard at getting and trying to keep?

3. S&M Lawn Care

thanks for the help. business is business

4. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Just remember that phrase!

5. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

With all due respect I say you should just go in and lower your price to get the work. After a few weeks, maybe even a month, you will soon realize that you cannot maintain that level of service for that price. Soon after, you will have to raise your rates to where the big guys are if you dont go broke and belly up first.

Keep this in mind. The big guys are there because they earned it (giving them the benefit of the doubt) and they are pricing themselves for profit. You will have to step up to the plate because it doesnt take much for the new guy to ruin his reputation with one or two bad accounts or comments from the neighbors.

There is a saying..it goes a little something like this.

"The sweet smell of cheapness doesnt last as long as the foul smell of poor service" <--- The real saying is close to this but not quite so I now own it.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

How would you like it if you built a business, and some new guy comes in and SPECIFICALLY targets YOUR customers? Find your own customers.

7. Liquidfast

from Ontario

I know its hard to agree with this guy (especially cuz he is new) but I dont personally feel its wrong to target another LCOs customers. In fact, the opposite is true. If someone is looking for new business, it is in their best interest to target existing customers. Everytime a person responds to an email, a newsletter, fills out a ballot they are entering their name into a system and that systems generates leads to prospective business owners.

The only difference in our biz is that our lead, our ballot and our newsletter is parked outside the customers house. The trick is to keep the interest with our customers and our business so not to lose them. If I work a customer, I can promise you, you better be damn good at your craft cuz I not only maintain their property, I also entertain their stories, their future plans for their home, and in some cases, lie as to how cute their kids are.

In fact, a little known secret to the new guys is to target houses where the grass looks like crap. Believe me, these are your newest and easiest customers to get and keep. Ofcourse there is alittle more to it (not much, just a little) but I am not at liberty to say but the lesson here is also one of experience................r u ready..."Sell yourself on FULL service" Not a big secret but one you'll need to keep a customer happy. Give them fert, aerate it, overseed it. Whatever it takes and keep it reasonable.

Im tired

Oh and, you are not against an empire. Your only competition is yourself. You are only as good as your last seasons lawns. The "empire" started right where you are now. I am sure they started out thinking the way you did and accomplished their task. Establish your goals, focus on them and see nothing else.

8. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Not all big companies started at the bottom. Some bought their way into the business. There's one here in town that bought out other companies. I wouldn't feel even a little bad for taking one of their customers. They came in out of nowhere and gobbled up a big chunk of the market. The way I see it, if they're giving the customer good service at a fair price they won't have anything to worry about.

9. S&M Lawn Care

Thank you Liquidfast. I am 17 and I have had some success in other businesses. The reason for my targeting of his customers is simply because of the population of my city. I'm going to find a way to make my business work.

10. Liquidfast

from Ontario

Just dont lose sight of your goal. Go out there and provide a better service, be more polite, more productive and you will rise to the top. Doesn't matter how young/old you are, the fact that you are here speaks volumes. The key is to know what you are worth and command it with your work!