1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Age Defying ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Jul 23, 2005.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

WB's have their place as do ZTR's, but I have always sacrified time to use a WB on my residential lawns. My clients have became spoiled to the fact that I will lay down a great stripe and leave their lawn spotless.

I talked myself into the fact that this was never going to change. WRONG!!! I have a 40 year old body that feels like it is 70, so I decided to take out the ZTR on my residential and model homes yesterday. I took a trimmer guy with me and set my rear on the Gravely 260Z all day long.

Productivity was about the same (maybe a bit better), but I feel so much better having not walked (or sulky) all of the lawns.

In fact, I am thinking about a change in strategy. How many of you use riders exclusively? I am thinking about a rider and a 21" on each trailer.
  2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I use only ZTR's here even on the smallest lawn (only two really small ones). When not in the middle of a severe drought like we have going now, I have a guy working for me, we run two Scag ZTR's. He has good instincts, i.e. when we are close to being done he will pull up on the trailer & grab trimmer, gets that done, backpack blower & cleans off common areas. We are able to reduce a substantial amount of time from the props we service, especially the larger ones, frees us up to get after the higher end profit jobs payup

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I too have a Gravely 260Z.

On days my back really hurts I walk behind instead.

I have experieced the least pain by switching periodically, and letting my employees ride while I only occasionally ride, usually I WB or "weed-eat."
  4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

ZTRs are the way to go my personal crew 60 inch lazer and a 44 inch lazer no wbs or 21s.

My second crew has a 52 inch lazer with a trac vac just like my 60 but this crew is designed for the smaller accounts so it also has a 36 TTHP and a 21 inch snapper its a real tight fit but we stuff it on a 12 foot by 6 foot 4 inch trailer.

My next crew that I will be building will also be pure riders for all the guys that say they do not help I say this my 2 man crews bring in 700-800 a day each I will be keeping the riders.
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Whats a walk behind???
  6. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm fifty and to the point my knees won't take a full day of walking. We intersperse riding on the large lawns with walking on the very small jobs which keeps the stiffness at bay. We have a lot of gate work so we opted for a 34" Ariens machine. We have a 44" Craftsman tractor for the heavy weed and huge open areas. Great pieces of equipment and perfect for what we do.
  7. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

I run both ZTR and WB, all SCAG. I have two 61" Tigers and two 48" WB and one 36" WB for where it's needed. The correct size machine for the job, provides a better service to the customer. I can not see paying the extra money for something as small as a 48" ZTR. I run a three man crew (myself included) and we average 20 - 25 accounts a day, on a residential and commercial mixed route.

Just my opinion.