age discrimination?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 15, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i applied for a job. don't ask questions, i just did, that's all. anyhow, the man doing the interview said, "how old are you? 39? well, you do understand the physical intensity of this job? in fact, i've never had a guy over 20 yrs old that could last more than a couple weeks." if i don't get the job, is this age discrimination?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

age discrimination starts at 40. I can think of various other reasons why you wouldn't get hired besides your age. ;)

3. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you live on a different planet, as soon as the guy asked you your age, it became age discrimination. Now, if you were alone in the room and no one else heard him, it may be a problem. But Federal law prohibits asking age or birthdate before you are accepted for the position.

4. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he should let you prove if you are physically intense enough for the job before he doesn't give it to you.

Go shove two 50lb weights in front of his face and then see what he has to say.. :blob3:

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

It's against the law to ask that question in an interview or on an application. (With some minor exceptions.) At least that's what the lawyer who taught our Ethical and legal Issues class said. Get an attorney's opinion. You may not be able to prove it was asked but I'm pretty certain it's illegal.

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

prove what? i'll tie him to a tree, drink beer, and throw rocks at him till he admits it on tape.

7. oneandonlyjojo

oneandonlyjojo LawnSite Member
    from NY

u can ask how old someone is because #1 they are going to find out anyway reading your applications and they need to make sure u are not under 18 so u arent a minor "technically"

what kind of job was this anyway? u will probably get the job as he said there have been older people working b4 but have not lasted 2 weeks. sounds like a ups job or sumtin all they care about is if u can lift a lot of heavy **** and not cry

8. out4now

from AZ

lol :p Why were you appllying anyway? Winter tide over money?

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

read the post, "don't ask questions"

10. out4now

from AZ