1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Age for starting business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by liquidforcedude7, Dec 29, 2005.

1. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Hey guys Im wondering what age most of yall started your business like im 15 and have like 8 accounts.... but thats all I can take. This fall I got soo many calls for leaf cleanups and lawns next summer, all by word of mouth. I hate turning down customers. But I have no way to get around and I have to basically stay in my neighborhood until I can drive (my birthday fits in terriable with the schools drivers Ed) . But I cant decide what to do with my life, sitting behind a desk definately Isnt for me, Ive allways loved running mahinery and equipment but usually it doesnt pay as much as doing other work. But did most of yall skip out on college and go straight into lawn businesses or go to college and still think this was your calling....?
  2. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

College is coming close for me, and i wouldnt ever suggest to anyone to skip college. Even if you think your going to do this the rest of your life, you should still go to college. Mowing doesnt take a degree but you could learn alot from it, and always fall back on any degree. Your only 15, and you already know what you want to do with the rest of your life, thats impressive. I have no idea what im going to be doing, and probly alot people on here dont either. Although you think you may have your mind already set, just keep your eyes open.
  3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Go to college. You're 15, you don't have to decide what to do with your life right now. Pace yourself. Do what you can do right now, and save that money you're making in the summer to eventually start up your business. But take business related courses and things of that nature. It'll help down the road at whatever you decide to do. Good luck to you.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I will be 44 this year and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up:p

But I have many options. The reason for that is education. Skip school and you will lock yourself into very little. Go to college and you will open up many more doors

And you can still do this if you want.
  5. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Ok good. I thought it was a little early, but our teachers are pressuring us to start exceling at what we plan on doing when we get older. There always saying how we need to start deciding what were going to do when we get older. But what age did yall get into the business, after college?
  6. matth04

matth04 LawnSite Member

I was about 13, 14 when I started spending the summers working for my Grandpa. I would help him with his lawn mowing business. Then when I turned 16 I started mowing by myself, mainly within the neighborhood. It wasn't until college that I started mowing full-time. I normally take 15-18 hours each semester, and still maintain about 40 properties. I did have to give up saturdays to maintain all of the properties. be prepared to not have a whole lot of free time. It is an awesome feeling when you have all this money and your college buddies don't have anything.
  7. MJL1929

MJL1929 LawnSite Member

Yeah, i'm in college right now and plan to enter the market in 2007. It took a lot of convincing from my folks to keep me in, but now i'm really happy I went. I can't speak on the side for people who have been in the business long, or at all, but college can really give you an edge for running the business. Personally , I am a finance major and I feel that I have an edge on a lot of service business owners, particularly my ex-boss, because I would be more professional because of what I learned in college. I'll be the first to say that the stupid piece of paper is a crock, but I do learn plenty of stuff. I reccommend at least taking accounting in high school and speach in college. I have a good personality, but speaking in front of 50 people will eliminate any nervousness the rest of your life. Good luck!
  8. matth04

matth04 LawnSite Member

My advice if you want to be in this business is to major in accounting, or finance, maybe even business management. This will save you money when you can do your own taxes and not have to pay some CPA. You will learn alot. I have found my professors to be really interested in my business. I actually have them help me with all of the tax stuff.
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I'd say stay in school much harder when you have to go back latter like I did. Use your time now wisely. You have plenty of free time to start learning things about business. Read everything you can and get from your library. Since you are still young enough you can focus your school projects on green industry things if they allow you to choose and then you can explore in great detail about the business end. Education is becoming a necessity now. It used to be that you could get a relatively good job out of high school but not really anymore. Ask yourself this though, if for some reason you couldn't do labor type work anymore, what other skills would you have to rely on? Knowledge can't hurt you. Stick with school, even if its just in liberal arts.
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you go to school for accounting and have business management yet still decide to be a LCO or even a plumber or Dr., You will not save money by doing your own taxes or by being your own CPA. This is what these people do every day of the year. They will always save you more than you spend. They will advise you thru-out the year on how to run things and pay for things and what moves to make with your money to always pay as little taxes as LEGALLY possible.
    Trying to save pennies by not using professional help will always cost you.

The biggest benefit you will get by going to college is putting your mind in a place of thinking rather than doing. I see two types of mentality on this site.
    The lawn boy and the business man. The lawn boy just cuts grass, He is bringing in around 30K, maybe, and thinking he is doing great. He will talk down about using Lawyers and CPA's. He is the one that talks about never working for the "man". He talks about cutting expense's to the bone as the way to make money and never talks about growing or expanding by investing in his business and his people and his SUPPORT team (the CPA's and Lawyers)

The business man knows that what he does is run a business and it just so happens that the widget that his business sells is mowing. He will always look to grow. He will work to use leverage to his advantage. He is not afraid to put money into the business or his people as he looks at that as an investment.
    He will price his service according to his costs and profit needs and he will know the outcome of his labors before he starts. He will also know what he is good at and what things he needs others to be professional at to again make/save him money.
    He will also have a different attitude about himself and what he does.
    If you feel that you can save money by not using a professional to do your taxes or a lawyer to help set you up in business, if you feel it is better to do it yourself, HOW can you than go to Mrs. Jones house and feel right about saying that your are a professional and can make a difference by doing the landscape maintenance, over her doing herself.
    Your head has to be right on both sides of the table.
    Spending 4 years with college people, both students and teachers, will set you up right to be a business man. And that is really what your after, right?

matth04-This post is in no way putting down what you said , just my opinion about the topic you brought up. Not trying to be argumentative.