age of Scag w/b

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Red Dwarf, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Hello all

Our company has a couple Scag walk behinds that are pretty old. Just wondering what year they might be

"Florida Model" 48" deck, manual PTO lever, 14 hp Kawi, and the handle bars have just the one piece of tubing welded between; no sheetmetal "console" with the Scag nameplate like the new ones.

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I believe I had one of the first Florida models they put out. It was a replacement for my 1993 Scag 48" that cut like azz. I had a demo to use until they figured out what to do with mine. In December 93 my 1994 Florida model arrived. I am not sure exactly how long they made one with that designation. Does it still have the Florida model sticker on the front :confused: Mine was warn almost all the way off before I sold it in May 1994.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

What's a Florida model?
    Mine was like you described but not a Florida model, it was a '91 or '92. How'd I know? Email your model and serial number to Chris Frame at Scag ( cframe@scag.com ) and he'll tell you the approximate age.

4. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Yes it does...but I had to add some weight to the deck and (foollishly) welded two chunks of steel over part of the sticker.

We have another Florida Model though, that is newer (has the toggle switch PTO, long since scrapped and replaced with a manual PTO---my boss is an old codger that doesn't believe in anything hydraulic or electric:rolleyes: )

Thanks for the replies Guys:cool:

5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

It was in 1994 for the Florida Model. Honestly there wasn't any difference so to speak except the decal. Bought my first WB in 1986 was only the second one sold in my county. If there was anything different it was that the deck was a little deeper.