age restrictions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Viseras lawn service, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

In CT, how old do you have to be to be hired by a pro-LCO to run all mowing equiptment?
    Im pretty sure it is 18, but i may have been mistaken.

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Unless they changed it in the past few years its still 18 as I was no able to use power anything till I was 18 at the jobs I had.

3. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

are you serious? is their really a law like that?

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't it more your insurance company that has this restriction? I know that's what my insurance company says.

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I can't say for CT, but yeah, there are age restrictions. Depends on your state, and whether lawn/landscaping falls under the list of age-restricted industries. Better check first before that 16 year old cuts his foot off... :realmad:

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

A hundred years ago they had 9 year olds working in factories one of the drawbacks to the unions is overly strict child labor laws. Part of the reasoning is also the fact that people under 18 have questionable judgment at best. I do not wish to get in a fight with all the little kids here but every one of you knows what I am talking about weather it be drinking or hard core drug use weather it mouthing off to people 3 times your size or you think your invincible and feel you need to drive 150 miles an hour on the highway. There are exceptions but on average, which is what insurance companies use, young males are bar none the worse risks on the planet. That is why many lawmakers feel it necessary to protect our kids from them selves.

7. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

here in pa labor law says no one under 18 can be an out side helper