1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aggregate procedure

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Oct 13, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Can anyone give details to pouring that fancy aggregate contcrete, steps to be exact with retaining wall risers. Ive messed with regular concrete but never the "fancy" stuff.
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone? ...
  3. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

There's " exposed aggregate concrete " then there's " concrete seeding ". I'm not sure which one you mean, but I would guess exposed aggregate.

If you don't have any experience in doing it I wouldn't make steps your first project utilizing it. There are as many different finishes to it as there are types of aggregate. The most popular E.A. utilizes washed pea stone. The concrete is allowed to partially cure and then the cement is power washed leaving the polished aggregate exposed. The problem is, pea stone doesn't make a very good concrete aggregate. This method requires substantial reinforcement, and a fair knowledge of the product. A pathway wouldn't be a big deal, good sub-base and screen reinforcement. Walls and steps, however, would require adequate re-bar and tie in points, not to mention it would probably be more than almost any alternative method.

Best of luck