Aggressive Dog

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Aug 14, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got some beds that I maintain for one of my customers. There is a dog on the property next to the one that I maintain. The dog comes running over to me , under a split rail fence, growling and barking. This has happened twice. The dogs owner says "don't worry, he won't hurt you". But whats going to happn the day the owner isn't there to call the dog back. I'm thinking of getting some mace or pepper spray. Any "civil" ideas?

2. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

If he gets toooo close, Id fire up the weedeater and give him a little TRIM :mad: I had a account a few years ago and had the same situation, one day the dog got under the fence and bit my calf . So I came back the next week and the dog tries it again while Im trimming, so the dog gets a whip on the nose and runs away yelping never too think about even comming close to that fence while a mower was running! I kinda felt bad but he had to learn.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

try a couple of dog treats food always works.

4. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

I agree, I'd try the food first. Worse case is you make a friend, if not, get some pepper spray. He'll stay away after that. And it won't do any permanent damage.

5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I keep a box of dog biscuts in my truck all the time. Neighborhood dogs see me and come running.:D You can bet that the owners think it is nice that someone treats their dog good. It has even gotten me work in the past when the owner strikes up a conversation.

But just in case you have a big dog attack you here is what to do. Don't run. Brace yourself and put out your weak arm (if you are right handed your weak arm is your left). When the dog goes to grab your arm let it. Take your strong arm and strike it right in the throat. If the dog dies you will have proof of the attack by the bite marks on your arm. This will release you from any liablilty.

Keep in mind that dogs only attack for two reasons: to protect property and family; or because they are afraid. Make sure you evaluate the situation quickly as some dogs think they are the masters of their street. Also, a very loud scream "NO" will stop alot of dogs. The really good ones will keep coming though.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

get him a pet cat that he can chase around and then he will leave you alone.

I wouldn't give him any food because he could in turn become more aggressive towards you for having the food, especially any type of meat product.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

what kind of dog is it. big - little- pitbull?:nono:

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Treats first, you're not trying to make a friend, but making the dog aware that you are not the enemy.
    Spray if you have to.
    Trimmer defense as a last resort only.

If you use spray or trimmer, better make sure you can claim self defense.

9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I must be lucky, I have never had an a dog act aggressive towards me while I am mowing.
    In my previous line of work, it happened all of the time - thought I was going to have to shoot a few but never ultimately had too.
    It has gotten to the point that on the mowing jobs my crew goes to with me, they expect a dog to come up to me.