aggressive dogs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by simsy71, Sep 23, 2004.

1. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

I am cutting this lawn for people who are on vacation. There is a big field next door. This guy is walking 2 boxers. One comes over to me friendly as can be. The other was a big male, comes running over barking, the guys says ohhh nothing to worry about. He is playing the game of whos boss. I yell at him to get lost well he comes at me and nips at my boots. The owner is about 100yards away. I am a dog person so I am like beat it. The second time he tries it again so I take the blower and give him a good face full of air. The owner of the dog got pissed at me. I told him he is lucky I am a dog person or he would have gotten a nice nick by a trimmer.

Was I out of line. I mean enough is enough... especially where the dogs are not even in there yard. :angry:
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

a dog bite is a serious injury. I think you came very close to being bitten.

I dunno what you shoudda done, but I wouldn't have stood for some guys dog charging me and saying he's playing a "game of who is boss".

upon hearing that, I would inform both owner and dog that "I am the boss of this game" and both would have only a few seconds to retreat to a considerable safe distance.

in an OFF TOPIC thead, someone said: there are no stupid dogs, only stupid owners.

3. BladesAway

BladesAway LawnSite Member
    from Ok

Is there a Leash Law where you live? I have 2 Cocker Spaniels and a Siberian Husky and I wouldn't hesitate drop kicking any of the three if they nip at me. I hate offinsive dogs and I would have gave that guy a piece of my mind for allowing the dog to run free and bother me. You handled it alot better than I would. The neighbors probably hate that guy anyway letting his dogs go free like that you know they leave huge piles for them to step in on the way to get their mail. :realmad:
  4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

a guy once was walking his dog, near my truck and equipment. he actually let his dog lift his leg and pee on my lawnmower! :angry: i yelled at his stupidity, and he said, c'mon, you probably run through dog crap all the time :realmad:
    that was my first year, not sure how to react accordingly. today.. no way.
  5. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I like dogs too. If a dog is agressive to me it will get a boot in the tail. The owner needs a boot in the tail. That owner should not own a dog he should be limited to goldfish only. :angry:
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

a customers dog peed on mine two weeks ago. I yelled so loud it hurt!

7. kingenterprises

kingenterprises LawnSite Member

You were not out of line! A dog bite is a great big deal.!!!!!!

I was bitten about 2 weeks ago on the hand pretty badly. I'm a dog person too, but this was my Fault. I put my hand down letting the dog smell me. Big Mistake!!!!It became infected within 4 hours. I went to the Doctor within 24 hours and by the time I got to doctor, the infection was so bad the the whole hand was swolen 2X, Red and very painful.

2 shots, Dr. opens up wound and irrigates, 2 prescriptions and $350.00 later I'm on my way home. Antibiotics wreak havock on my lower GI, but I had to take them to cure the infection.

Dr. Told me that a dog bite is very likely to become infected b/c of high bacteria content of inside dog mouth.

From here on out, I'll take every precaution to keep from being dog bitten. Hard lesson learned.
  8. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

I was Air Spading at a customers home two days ago and I'm out at the road and I see a dog come out of the neighbors yard and start running in my direction. This is out in the country. This dog looks serious so I just stand and wait for him to get to me. He's barking and carring on so when he gets about three feet from me I let him have a blast in the face full force with the air spade. Rolled him over and scared the crap out of him. He put his tail between his legs and went home real fast! Not sure if he got hurt or not. That air comes out real hard, I can't hold my hand in front of it with out damaging my skin. If it got him in the eye, he'll be wearing a patch!
  9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

No, you wern't out of line at all, that owner should of kept his dog out of your way!
  10. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

No you were not out of line. But I doubt you would have been bitten. Boxers are about the friendliest breed of dog there is. They look a lot more ferocious than they actually are. A friend of my parents breeds boxers and my parents own one. I have had experiences with many of them, as I am a dog person also, and I have never known any of them to show even the slightest bit of aggression. Boxers love to bark though, and can have a deep pitched mean voice. But seeing how he was just nipping at your boots, he was most likely just being playful.

All that being said, to you, all you know is there is a big dog nipping at your boots. You had every right to give him a mouthful of air. The owner was probably just mad because he thought you should have taken his word the animal was friendly. just be glad the dog didnt soak you down with droll, something boxers are good at.