Aggrivating Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Jul 1, 2003.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I have a customer (the very same I mentioned in the dog poop thread who does the dog services) who I have worked for for 6+ years. She spends a lot of money on her lawn, and I have a great relationship with her, she's a good customer. However, every year I seed a patch of lawn along her extension in the spring. The patch, about 20 ' X 6' has a tree that casts a lot of shade and sucks a lot of water out of the soil. It's also very close to the street and gets a lot of gravel, etc, in it. Every year I rake it and seed it in the spring, it grows, and then when the dry spell hits in July, it all dies. She does not water it, although I continually tell her to. She does not fert it, although I tell her to. This year it grew in real nice because of all the rain we had, and came in great. Nice and full. Starting last week, when it got hot and dry, it has slowly been browning out and dying. I called and advised her to water it. Nothing yet, and it looks real bad so far.

Why do people pay $$ every year for seeding, etc, and then neglect the lawn all over again and re-create the same problem? It really bothers me this year after the way it came out so nice, and she just won't water it! What do I do with her????

2. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Don't take it personal it happens all the time.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we used to have that problem with landscaping installation until we put our foot down...we told the customer that all products are bought by us, installed by us, and maintained for a minimum of one year by us. But we also give the customer information booklets relating to how and what they are supposed to do when we are not there. About 90% of customers are ok with it

4. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

It doesn't sound like she's complaining. Just not keeping up on what she buys every year.

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I should add, I charge her for every time I seed it. It's not a matter of money for me, but it just bums me out she won't take care of it. Her yard was looking really good after I seeded everything and it grew, and now it's all falling apart again. ARGH!

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Job security...........do nothing........if she's willing to pay you...take it. She probably had rather pay you to fix it each year than do the watering herself. If you give her good sound advise on how to prevent the problem and she don't make an conscious effort to cure the problem. I would just keep on getting paid.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Charg her more each and every time. Heck if she is willing to pay for a leather sofa and give it away to good will. She can afford it.

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe it's just your award winning personality, and she wants to be sure she has plenty for you to do. :)

Does she water/maintain the rest of her lawn, she might think it's going to cost if she waters or has you reseed, so she just saves herself the effort of watering.

What type grass seed you using, would changing grass types help?

9. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like a car company complaining when someone doesn't properly maintain their car, and has to replace the engine. Be happy! Its $$$$!