1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

agitate 2-cycle fuel before use?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ColePyck, Mar 25, 2007.

1. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

hey I just mounted a 15gal blitz fuel station to my trailer and have it loaded with two cycle that I properly mixed before filling. I was wondering if 2-cycle oil mix's settle after periods of non movement and if this could be a problem in throwing of how the fuel is delivered to my equipment. Thanks
  2. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

The 2 cycle oil should remain in suspension, mixing and re-mixing as you drive. The only time I would be even the least bid concerned is let it set for several days without aggitation. May be wrong, but .....

I only haul a 2 1/2 gal. mix jug on the trailer. It of course gets shaken as we drive.

3. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Those things are like 15 gallons, lol youre lugging 15 gallons of 2 mixed fuel? Id imagine it will be ok unless it sits for days, then it may need a little shake to stir up the fuel and mix it around.
  4. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Whats so funny about that? I am hoping to only fill the thing a few times a year, two cycle is such a pain to run out of because the guys never know how to mix it, plus saves me from having to use those little gas cans! Thanks for the replies though!
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would think it would be ok. Do you send guys out alone to do lawns? Because if I couldnt count on someone to be able to mix gas and oil I wouldnt want them out alone doing work for me.
  6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

You needn't worry about agitating properly prepared 2-cycle fuel.
    The oil and fuel interact in a collodial soultion which basically means the oil is attracted to the fuel molecules until the fuel itself changes chemical properties - like separating due to age, introduction of water, etc.
    I used to allow the crews to mix their own oil but fouling of everything became a real issue. So either me or my one foreman who is almost as conscientious as I am will mix.
  7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I sometimes use a 30 gal setup for 2-stroke mix. I have it in the shop set up stationary. I have not sieze up a motor yet.

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

The only issue I see here is that 2-cycle equipment really loves High-octane FRESH fuel to run properly and not clog up. If you aren't using up that 15 gallons of 2-cycle fuel every 4 weeks or possibly 6 at the very most, you run the risk of damaging your equipment.

Take a look in your owner's manuals. Almost all of them now say to use clean, fresh fuel less than 30 days old. This is especially true in the corn-belt with 10% ethanol being added to boost octane, ethanol evaporates much faster than petroleum especially in the hot sun. If you don't think that fuel distillates and ethanol will evaporate from a "sealed" gasoline container...you're wrong. Yes, fuel chemically deteriorates over a brief period of time causing lower octane numbers and possibly resulting in hard starts, poor performance, detonation (kills engines), and possibly premature failure of compnents.

2 schools of thought here. Mix ALL gasoline fuel with Opt-2 or another 100:1 HP oil, or only mix in quantities that can be used within the 30 day window. There is an elusive 3rd choice that I use for saws and also my snowblowers and things that are very very seasonal use. I buy racing gasoline or AV-Gas either one is ultra-high octane and has a shelf-life of 6-8 months or more.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

As far as the shelf life of fuel goes:

Fuel goes "stale" because bacteria begins to grow in it, this is what causes the horrible smell that stale fuel gets.

And secondly, most if not all 2 stroke oils have stabilizers and fuel life preservers already in the mix. This will easily allow fuel to last longer than 30 days i'm guessing up to 3 or 4 months. If the stablilizers in your premix dont give you enough comfort then adding sta-bil should do the trick.

30 day window is old school, just like changing the oil in your car every 3000 miles.