Agitation

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CLC03, Apr 26, 2006.

1. CLC03

CLC03 LawnSite Member

Jet Agitation vs. Mechanical Agitation

Which is best? Those of you who have sprayers with jet agitation(i.e. Lesco space saver), is the agitation adequate enough to use granule urea and some suspension grade products? What are you experiences with the space saver? I like the size of the space saver, but I don't know if the agitation will be adequate enough. Most of the sprayers with mechanical agitation are much larger than I prefer.
    I'm not sure what to do!:confused:

2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

You can use the jet agitation with urea but the prep time will be more than with mechanical as you will have to dissolve the material slowly by pouring it into the fill screen and running water through it. I have all mechanically agitated fiberglass tanks and love them but they are more pricey than poly-jet agitated ones. With the mechanical you can pour all the urea in you need and be ready to go in minutes. I also have a Lesco space saver (for ornamental) and have had more problems with the Hypro 5500 pump than I do with the D-30's on the other tanks. The other nice thing about fiberglass is that they look good for years, I have one that is 16 years old and it looks great, plus no photo degradation of your chemicals while in the tank. If you have the room and the money you can't go wrong.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

mechanical is actually better, but jet agitation does a decent job. I have used the lesco space saver and only had problems when I was in a hurry and didn't give the urea a chance to dissolve. one thing I did that helped was to get a paddle and use it to stir the mix as I was filling the tank. once you get everthing dissolved the jet agitation does a good job

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I have a spacesaver, one thing I have found is that using warm water makes a huge difference in mixing the urea, I add 250 lbs to each tank so I'm dissolving a lot of urea, a little warm water makes it all dissolve quickly.
    Luckily I have a hot water spicket in my garage.

5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

you can also pre mix it in a slurry in a 5gal bucket, then pour it in.. i do this in my poly (jet) tanks with all dry products. as for my larger 600gal fiberglass tank w/ mech ag.. i just dump it in and go.

6. teeca

one more thing to consider.. the fiberglass tanks w/ mech agg can be a royal PITA!! they tend to leak around the shaft and can drive you mad trying to fix it.

7. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

"If you do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done. Then someday, you can do what you want when you want."

I think this statement speaks volumes especially to mainatining a mechanically agitated sprayer. I've yet to experience one that leaked after it was repaired correctly. Packing is easy to change & if the stuff box housing is in good shape the unit won't leak.

8. teeca

well i bought a tuflex tank and it had a ceramic seal, it worked good for a year then started leaking, replaced it with a new one, and it leaked when i got done, then another, and then the a** wipe from the factory says they most always leak, and i should put a rope seal in.. duh, thanks for telling me, 3 weeks down time. but no problems now.. $300 later

9. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

If you are serious about lawncare and want consistent results, fiberglass tanks with mechanical agitation is the only way to go. I've seen people use bypass or "sparge" agitation have problems with WSP's and end up with large quantities of product accumulating on the bottom of the tank in a short time. It would make me nervous wondering what rate I was actually applying if I saw all that in my tank. Smaller tanks (under 300 gal) with jet agitation can be ok since the area it is required to mix is small and concentrated. My 500 gal. tanks all use mechanical and I've only had to crawl into the tank once to replace a rope-packing type bearing. Since my eductor fill-system handles the chore of pre-slurry I have little worries about proper agitation or rates.

10. Rhett@Gregson-Clark

Rhett@Gregson-Clark Sponsor

We have a strainer bag available for the purpose of dissolving urea with jet agitation. It is available for 10, 12 and 16 inch lids. It holds a full bag of urea and can stay right in the fillwell. This keeps the system strainer from plugging while the urea dissolves which helps prevent premature failure of the diaphragms. Higher volume pumps are also available for increased agitation.

One other issue when dissolving urea can be contaminents in the fertilizer which can ultimately end up in the nozzle distorting the spray pattern. This can be very frustrating. The attached image is a brass pressure strainer that mounts in line to the reel. This prevents having to constantly clean the nozzle and it has a flush valve for easy cleaning. Good luck.

brass pressure strainer.jpg