1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnspecialties, Sep 14, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in the market for a tank sprayer for next year. Obviously, my main choice available is Lesco. But others have my interest. One I saw here on LS appeared to have no source of agitation.

Is this a big deal? My main targets will be broadleaf control, nutsedge, and crabgrass. I would also like to possibly set up for liquid pre-emergent for large garden and natural areas. And of course, water and fertilizer for the several flower beds I maintain.

You tank spraying pros got some opinions on agitation? Thanks:)
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you will be treating sedges and crabgrass, you will be using ws (water solubles) and wettable powders. you will definitely want mechanical agitation.
  3. lawnspecialties

Do I need agitation for water solubles?

Either way, it seems my Drive stays well mixed in my backpack. Is it a soluble powder or wettable powder? Sedgehammer as well?
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Drive is a ws. The reason it stays agitated in a backpack, is because it is a small amount, and you can shake it. Make a quantity, it is a different story. Yes, it has the pump, and it has the dependency on going down the road (stopping, turning, etc.), but once it sits for just a short bit,...give it up. You wind up with a gelatinous mess.
  5. lawnspecialties

Thanks Runner. I'll have Lesco send you a commission check.payup
  6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I've used Drive and other wettables, dry flowables, wsp's, etc. with jet agitation with good results. Follow proper mixing instructions (fill tank with 1/2 the watter, turn on agitation, add materials, fill the rest of the way) and you should have no problems. Mechanical is definitely better and faster for mixing, but jet will get the job done. Takes a little longer, but from somebory who had paddle shaft seal problems, I prefer the jet. (drove waround with a leaky truck. had to take the truck off the road in mid season and redo the freakin shaft seal, huuuuge pita and loss of time)
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

What I failed to understand at first is that water is the vehicle that transfers the chemical to the plant while the powder itself is the chemical. Water has little or nothing to do with the whole process other than it carries the powder to the plant so that once the water dries then what is left is the powder, and the powder is what does the work of killing the weed.

Hence there is always the water, and the powder.
    We mix them but it's still water, and powder.
    Yes, they really are two separate things, almost like those 'power' shakes used by guys who work out, the powder doesn't dissolve completely, ever.

So you have to watch that drive75 stuff, it's fine so long it's in motion and if it doesn't sit still for too long. Not sure how long it takes to settle but in my case if the sprayer sits overnight the powder sinks to the bottom of the tank and you can see it if you inspect it carefully. Usually a short 15-20 minute drive to the customer's house is stir enough to get it all going again, then once you wear the backpack the motion keeps the powder suspended as well, but you need to check it to make sure it is, otherwise the mix isn't strong enough to do the job anymore.
  8. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't say enough good things about Gregson-Clarke skid sprayers. I have their V-200 model and it's been great. It has excellent agitation too.
  9. lawnspecialties

I've briefly looked at them here on LS. But not very much.

Do they have dealers? What about service issues? That's obviously a plus Lesco has since I have three Lesco's in my area. Not to mention the JDLandscapes now.
  10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I am not aware of a commercial skid sprayer sold with out any form of agitation, be it mechanical or jet.
    After nineteen years of using both types of agitation systems on multiple types of application equipment I cannot tell a difference in performance with regards to efficacy on either type. A given is following label mandates on usage/mixing requirements.
    I have had considerably more maintenance issues with mechanical agitation systems which is why I prefer the jet agitation.
    The only time I prefer mechanical over jet is when hydroseeding.