1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

AGLA, Treedoc, and anyone with knowledge of trees!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rookiemower, May 22, 2005.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

you guys helped me earlier so here's another problem. i just did a large install. in which i planted two (3 1/2" trunk diameter) bradford pears. One white cascade crab, and one prairie fire crab. They were all transported by me and tarped in drive. All were planted same day and were in good shape then. We'll now one week later they are all wilting BADLY. The soil was about 6" of dirt then clay. There has been a decent amout of rain and the root balls are still very damp WHATS GOING ON! ;) ;)
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

They are drounding that's what
    ,did you break up the hardpan?Did you make sure they were draining?Did you plant high cuz it was clay?
    Were they B&B?or container?
    How did you plant them?
    Are you sure the rootballs are damp?
    Did you stick your shovel under one and see if the soil was saturated?
    If it is,then the roots are rotting in the clay holes,because of lack of proper drainage.Bring them UP!!
  3. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

do you think they will still live if i bring them up ;)
  4. sheshovel

Are they B&B or container tree's,othrwize,did they come in a container or wrapped in a clay ball w/burlap?
  5. sheshovel

if they are drownding yes.
  6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

how fast did you drive to the site, unless you mean that you had them tarped so tight no wind could get in. in most cases people tarp trees and don't realize that the tarp is actually beating the tree because it is loose. did you check to find the flare roots in the root ball while planting? on all the installs i've done this year including trees i've had to clean a good amount of soil for the top of the root ball cause it was too deep. if it was b&b did you remove the burlap and metal cage holding the root ball in tack? also are they mulch? if so they should only need water once a week in the summer. wilting leaves doesn't sound like a water issue, but yellow leaves does on those types of trees.