1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Agressive employee

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by site, Mar 21, 2001.

1. site

site LawnSite Member

I'm planning on hiring a new guy to run my mowing route. He's pretty pushy about what he wants, and he seems to know what he's doing. He sais he can get me a bunch of new accounts, but he wants me to give him something back, like a cut of the profits. I'm not sure this would work. I'm also guessing that he's planning on soliciting these accounts from his previous employer. Wondering if next year he'll try to move on and grab a bunch of my accounts. Would you guys give him anything for the accounts? If so, what?
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I wouldn't give him a % of your profits. Who's running the show , you or him? Who pays the bills, you or him? Give him some kind of bonus if he brings in new accounts. Also have him sign a "no compete" contract saying that in the future he wont try to solicit any of your accounts.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

what would I do .... I'd keep looking .....he might "run your route" right into his back yard ...if he's going to steal from his other boss then ??...% of "profit" ...what he's not going to get paid ....$ for new accounts ...sure if he's aggressive enuff to go out and get accounts on his own for you OK
  4. site

site LawnSite Member

You are right I should keep looking. He hasn't even started yet, and I already hava a bad feeling about him. If someone better comes along he's gone.
  5. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I would not only hire this guy -- I'd begin to watch my back (especially if he alrealy knows your route.)

If he is going to run your route will you be with him?? (how is this guy going to be with your customers?)

Also, I bet if you looked closer, he was either let go or he quit because he didn't get his way.

Overall, I wouldn't worry too much. Those kind of folks are usually not your competition -- they are your high maintenance employees types.
  6. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would'nt hire him.
    I get a bad feeling about him from here!
  7. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Mega dittos-he sounds like he will be your next competitor, with a good knowledge of YOUR clientele' base.
    I wouldn't give him the time of day; if he wants a cut of the profits give him his own share of the bills.
    Common sense has already told you not to trust a guy like this. He needs to bust out on his own; anyone can be sure of himself when it's not HIS neck on the line.
    Politely tell him the position has been eliminated or filled, or something. Pass on this one........
  8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

not worth the risk at all, alot of people out there that need jobs and alot would sacfrice to get a job and be trained for little to nothing if they know they have a great job with great pay.
  9. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

hiring a looser will only get you more troouble and yu don wana do that trust me.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

That would be like taking on a partner that only gets profits and no liability or bills. He is a very high risk. Let him walk.