1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Agrimetal Straw Mulcher?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Doogiegh, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a Agri-Metal Straw Mulcher that has a 11 HP Honda engine on it.

What is a Straw Mulcher used for? When I first saw it, I thought it was for chipping up tree branches to MAKE mulch nuggets.

Now I believe it's more for moving mulch from one spot to another, like loading up a bed on the job.

If you got to move mulch, isn't it easier to take it from the truck and put it in a wheelbarrow to where it has to go, then to lift it into the "tube" and then have it go in a hose to wherever?

Here's a link if you want to check it out, see if you recognize this kind of machine:

Click on STRAW MULCHER on the left side of the screen a little ways down.

Does anyone know if you throw a branch into that thing, will it break it into mulch or is it only for moving mulch from spot A to b?

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You actually drop a bale of straw into the hopper. It chops it up and shoots it out to cover seeded areas. I saw this used by the timber industry to protect seeding of edges of logging roads.
  3. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Agla is exactly right I have used one when putting in lawns it is a very nifty contraption and they work quite well. It gives the sraw a very even spread.
  4. Cheese burger

Cheese burger LawnSite Member

I use one on all my seeding lawn renovations. I get better germination with 25 to 30 % less straw plus it looks better. I have a Goosen brand chopper one advantage to the Agrimetal is you don't have to remove string from straw it will chop it.

5. my strawblower you better take the strings off or your in there with a torch burning them off, where they wrap around the shaft.
  6. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I never knew of such a machine, I thought it was a wood chipped that was fed from the top. Oh well, go figure. <G>

Thanks for all of the help. I guess they aren't used all that common as far as machines go, unless you are doing seeding jobs and putting straw down, eh?

7. ted corriher

ted corriher LawnSite Member