1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Agrivated at Dealer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pottstim, Jun 5, 2003.

1. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I've been shopping for the past week for a commercial walk-behind mower. After kicking lots of tires and reading several brochures, I've pretty much decided on a Scag 48" with the Kawasaki twin 15hp. There are 2 Scag dealers in my immediate area. The closest is about 3.5 miles from my home, while the other is around 35 miles away. Yesterday the closest dealer to my home quoted me a price of $2995 for the mower, $259 for the velke, and after the tax was added in the total was $3500 and some change. Before I left I filled out a credit app. for the amount I had to finance after my down payment, then I asked him if that was their rock bottom figure. He said yes and then said I will get in touch with you tomorrow when i hear back from the loan company. Well he called today and said I was approved. I said great, but I called Mayo garden center (the Scag dealer 35 miles away) and he quoted me a price of $2895 for the same exact mower...would you be willing to match that price? He says i kind of a smart alleck voice , " uhhhhh....nope we can't do that....those guys aren't making any money off that sale" "plus if you feel like you wanna drive all that way to save $100....plus drive all the way there for service, that is entirely up to you." I said well I'll think about it another day or so then i may be in to see you thursday or friday. He said alrighty and we hung up. From what I gather, they don't sound like they really want to make a sale off of me, so I have half a mind to say the hell with them and drive to Knoxville and buy from those folks. I have a hard time believing he can't work with me a little more on price, plus it sounds like he is gonna refuse me service there if I need it. What do you guys think about this? :angry:
  2. MX 158

MX 158 LawnSite Member

I just payed 2500+tax for that same mower about 2 months ago, so the dealer still has room to deal.
  3. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I figured as much, Mx158. Wonder what dealer cost is on this mower? Out of curiousity, I asked him for a price on a 36" and he told me $2,695, which is still above what you paid for your 48". I have a feeling this dealer is just one of those "fat cats"
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If there was only a 100 dollar difference between dealers I believe I would go with the closer of the 2 dealers. 100 dollars is nothing to get irritated over.
  5. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

Good business would indicate that you have already lost approximately $100.00.
    What is your time worth, per hour?
    What are you getting for the extra $100.00? Convenience, better service you may be assuming the extra $100 is pure profit for the dealer when in fact the higher priced dealer has a lower profit margin. This dealer may have better service, which relates to higher paid employees. He may also have more inventories, better hours, who knows. The point is youÂ’re probably not paying $100.00 more, your probably getting $100 worth of value that is not quite obvious.

Here is a question. How much of a tip do you leave after the purchase? When I bought my Z-Master I left the service guy a 50, not a lot, but adequate. Money well spent. When I walk into the dealership I get immediate service. I always leave tips even for the free service that was included in the original deal. Hidden cost AND VALUE of doing business.

Unless the dealer is a real bad, in which case you should not be getting a price from him in the first place. IMO
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Wait till you Lose That Customer for Five dollars A Cut,Because You Have better More expensive equipment than the Other Guy You Could not lower the Price. John
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the others. $100 is nothing down the road when you need him.
    Gamba is correct! Pottstim will be the first person back here on LS to complain about a customer and $5. "She wanted me to lower my price by $5, I told her no. My price is my price." Got to look at it from a bigger perpective.
  8. Speedy

Speedy LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I have a question on the scag wb. Is it hydro driven?? We have a scag 48", 17hp kaw and velkie. The price on it down in this neck of the woods was close to 5000.00. Just curious if prices were that different in different regions of the country..

oops forgot to say ours is a hydro..
  9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

"He says i kind of a smart alleck voice "

He was probably a little peeved that after you and he went through all the work to arrange the sale, THEN you went and started shopping around. He may have been more willing to play with the price before he did all the paperwork for the price that it seems you and he had already agreed to.

You can liken this to mowing a lawn, and then having the customer say they are going to pay you ten dollars less then the price you agreed on, because that is what another company bid for it. Wouldn't you be annoyed?
  10. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Ive said it before and I'll say it again "BUY the way you SELL!"