Ah! The joys of contracting.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lureman, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Lureman

Lureman LawnSite Member

Just had to tell someone who will appreciate this.

Picked up a sweet little job yesterday $35.00 for about 20mins on the 60". I then ran over a fire hydrent cover and destroyed a brand new set of blades $100.00 and a spindle housing $250.00.

You have to have a good sense of humor in this business. :dizzy:
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yep...THat's how it works alot of the time :realmad:
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Where in the heck are you buying a set of blades for $100, and a spindle housing for $250?????????????????? Man, if I was paying that kind of money for parts.//ANY parts, I would be out of business. Blades......30 bucks a set. Spindle housing (complete unit with bearings and seals....44 bucks,... 77 bucks with shaft. Knowing yopur suppliers and not just your dealers,....priceless.
  4. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

It's just a part of this business. From time to time, things like that happen.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I can buy a whole new spindle assembly already put together from direct from the Kubota dealer, overnight freight and only pay $125.

I agree, if you look around the internet for blades they're about...... $7 - 11 / blade.
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes but if you read his location it says it all he does not live here not even close.
  7. Lureman

Lureman LawnSite Member

I hear what your saying, Tell me about it. Rember though I'm talking A$.

Cheapest set of blades I can find are A$98.00 thats $73.5 US$ Complete spindle assembly is A$250.00 thats $187.5 US.

I'm looking at replacing my GD at the moment Prices START at A$22,000 for a Toro Z597D with 60" deck. Great Dane, Hustler and Ferris the nearest dealer to me is 50ks away on the other side of the city and they are similar prices to the Toro. New Kubota ZD28 is A$26,000

You think you guys have got it tough over there. From reading this forum I feel our cutting prices are about the same as yours but our machinery and labour expenses are way higher.

I try and average $50.00 an hour. Hard to do though when youre competing with the uninsured, cut price merchants and labour costs $18.00 an hour with workers comp and superannuation.

This is a great forum and I have learned a great deal from you guys.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

My bad, you're right. Didn't even see that.