ah, yet another pita. please define "leaf cleanup"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 20, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

someone define leaf cleanup. when you do an estimate, tell me, what do you tell the customer. me? LEAF CLEANUP- cleanup + disposal=xxx amount.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Leaf cleanup = Removing your leaves off your lawn (point A) to where ever that eventually is (point B).

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

To me leaf clean-up means, the removal and proper disposal of leaves. Some customers think that disposal is not their problem. It's hard to convince some of them that the leaves belong to them and if they want the leaves removed from the property then they have to pay for disposal.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, so, if i quoted you, the customer, a price for LEAF CLEANUP, would you expect twigs, branches, and limbs to be carted off also? this is my "argument of the day". my add in the newspaper says, "leaf cleanup." this gentleman called and said, "i need a price for a "leaf cleanup"". i went over and quoted him $300 for "leaf cleanup and disposal." he now is unhappy because the fallen limbs (probably 3 buckets woth) and the twigs and branches were not removed. i told him he can do that himself. #1- the machines do not pick up twigs and branches. #2- i can't dispose of them. YES, believe it or not, the dump we use (the only one in the area) charges for every type of material you have. for example: my truck with leaves=$35. now, if there are branches mixed in, it is charged as: leaves=$35. brush=$35, for a total of $70.

Whjr15 likes this.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely not. Period

6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, $35.00 for using the dump? That is robbery. Here it is $7.00 at one place, and $10.00 at another. And all natural yard debris can be dumped together. It'a used to make mulch, which in turn you can take as much as you want for free.

As far as leaf clean up goes, I explain every part of the "leaf clean" up process that I will perform. From what I pick up to how it is disposed of. That way there is no argument. If the customer has something else besides that, I charge them extra.

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Bobby
    For quality reasons I would have picked up the branches and twigs even if I had to put in extra time to do it. I would have charged him for the extra work time and disposal costs and explained to him that the landfill requires separation of yard waste which runs up the cost of disposal. If he didn't want to pay extra disposal costs I would have left the branches in a pile that he could have bagged and disposed of himself.

8. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

BG, Leaf cleanup consists of cleaning up the leaves on the property, lawn and beds, and disposing of them on the customers property or hauling them off. Of course the price goes up if we haul them away. We have our own property to dump some of them and some at a farm. Our dump fees at the closest landfill is $35 per yard, not truck load. Bob, disposing of waste is an expensive problem in Pa. also. Matt

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Did you see the branches and twigs at the time of the estimate or did they show up upon your arrival? Usually, if it's not too much, I just haul them off.

10. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Twigs and branches I would include, limbs, or anything I'd need the chipper for, would be extra. I would have explained this while quoting, so all parties knew what to expect.