AHH, replacing the tranny on my 36" didn't fix the problem!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

So replacing the tranny did not fix my problem, here is what it does....when you put it in gear everything looks fine, until you let off the brakes...then the couplers STOP spinning and it doesn't go without a very very strong push...it will make a loud noise when it starts to go that sonds like you ran over rocks w/ the mower....what is wrong with this thing?? the belt is VERY tight....and the belt spins, so what could it be?? (the belt stops once you let off the brakes

2. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

Have you checked to make sure the couplers aren't stripped inside?

3. Orkin Yards

they are NOT stripped....what else could be the prob

4. Orkin Yards

??

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If the engine to tranny belt stops turning when you let off of the brake (engage the clutch so to speak) I would look at the pulley on the engine shaft. Oh, and loosen up the belt, you'll ruin the input shaft bushing in the tranny like that.

6. Orkin Yards

what do i need to look for? i mean i can look at the pulley all day long but i'm not to sure what i'm suppose to be looking for....
    thanks for the response..

7. Orkin Yards

?

8. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

that happened to my toro 52". the problem was that the belt came off of the belt tensioner (i'm not sure of the exact name of it). this is on the bottom of the mower right under the motor. i'm not sure what type your mower is, but that is where it was on my toro.

9. Orkin Yards

the belt is tight, so it isn't off the tensioner i'm awaiting richards response to what to look at dealing w/ that pulley on the motor...

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Okay, block the wheels on the mower so it can't move. Put the mower in gear and release the brakes so that the jackshafts stop turning. Carefully, carefully look under the mower and see what is not turning. Most likely you will see that the engine shaft is turning but the pulley is not.

If that is the case you will need to remove the pulley and inspect it. There should be a long slot cut into the into the pulley bore that a woodruff key fits in. There is also a slot in the engine shaft. Either one of the slots is worn or the key is destroyed.