ahhh yes, the pita on the phone, zero tolerance lol

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by topsites, May 31, 2006.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You know, I have this way of doing things, follow the routine and everything will be fine. Much like when you go to a restaurant, the waiter or waitress leads the way and you follow, right? Same thing, but not all customers like that, evidently some want to lead me, tell me how it is going to be.

Some lady calls, first question was how much I charge to cut her grass, to which I replied asking how large her lot was... So she tells me it's mostly woods, so I say I'd have to take a look at it, she says no problem but has to have it done by Sunday (in a Zero-argument tone). I get pen and paper, ask for her address... She goes, well if you're in this county then you know where such-and-such subdivision is. I say 'can I have your address please?' Again she says 'you don't know where whatever_subdivision is?'

Click !

I turned the phone off at this point.
    5 minutes later I turned it back on, 1 new message.

I am ready for it, one hint of obscenity or vulgarity and I'm off to the PD to file charges.
    No, she wants me to call her back, thinks we got accidentally cut off.

Yes I know, I can hear it now from the customer-service gallery but you know what?
    THIS is how you avoid the pitas in the first place!
    This is exactly how I got none of this on my schedule.
    Higher prices help, but getting rid of the pitas before they even get the chance, that rules.
  2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

That's not very nice, and not a good way to get business.... Have you ever stopped to think that maybe the people don't KNOW their address and the only way they can tell you how to get to their house is by telling you the route they always remember?
  3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm at a loss of words on this one....:confused:
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Heard this on a morning radio show years ago and still think it's the best routine I've ever heard. Try this on your PITA customers on the phone:

You> "I'm getting interference, try stepping back from your phone"
    Her> Is that better?
    You> "No, step back further from your phone.
    Her> But the phonecord is getting stretched!
    You> That's OK, you're getting clearer now, step back just a little more.
    Her> The cords really tight........dialtone

LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I understand TOTALLY...

Once you learn more about how people are, it is pretty easy to pick up on when someone is talking DOWN to you... and when they are using a rebel/bully tone.
  6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

the world is full of stupid people so meet me at the mission at midnight and we'll divie it up there.
  7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you not know your home address:dizzy:
  8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Ok.. i guess on LS, if you don't put :hammerhead: :laugh: when you are making a joke.. then everybody is too thick to catch it.
  9. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have gotten same phone calls. All from older woman. I let them know immediately that with over a thousand sub-divisions I know of them but may not have any customers in that sub. Please give me your address so we can be on our way. They have all been good cutomers luckily. Sometimes older people on meds or just came from kemo(typo). But generally I dont play games and sometimes I let them know they are being a little cranky to let them know to tone it down. They usually listen or I dont go back. Give Respect and get respect. If not SEE-YA
  10. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

True, it's kind of like the phrase, "Its not what you say, its
    [/I]how[/I] you say it."