Ahhh yes, the reasonable offers

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by topsites, Mar 22, 2007.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It is that early time, when there's still room left to shop around and either they're clueless, or as I suspect, savvy discount aisle shoppers. I'm selling an '02 Stihl br-420, mind you the ad reads $200 cash firm.
    So I get this all set up, the first call I won't even get into, the 2nd call seemed promising the guy shows up, we get to talking, then he says "I was wondering if you'd take $100"

I said "absolutely not, I just got done looking on ebay and you won't find a blower close to this for less than $200 but from the sounds of the offer I might as well wrap things up" and started putting stuff away (gas can, blower, owner's manual, etc).

Man says "I was just looking for a reasonably priced blower..."
    I said "For a Stihl, that offer is an insult."
    (actually it's an insult regardless, if the price is too high then so be it, but 1/2 off is not reasonable in any context lol)

2. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

You should hear the crap I get at the swap meet. Now, I love the swap meet so these types can not dissuade me. One of my favs is "What's the best you'll do on this? and I say "Well, I'm asking $75, but someone might give me $50,000. (for that 10 yr old pb400e).

3. topsites

I like your answer to 'what's the lowest you can go?,' I'll have to remember that, not that I would expect to make the sale, to me at that point it's over, but it's not a total rejection of an answer either and it prevents them from coming back with an even lower price (which that's just so bs too, why do ppl ask what is the lowest, and then come back even lower, and then when you say no it's no deal, what is up with this crap?)

Lol I guess I don't always see the humor in it, yes it is possible that $200 for a pretty old br-420 is too much, but then the ad reads $200 cash firm, so if you don't want it then please keep looking and that's what ticked me off, other than the ridiculous low offer. I was just looking on ebay and you won't find a decent backpack for under 200, it doesn't happen. Even an older pb3-series is selling pretty high, and the other thing is this guy never even picked up the br-420 to test it out, after I got it started he just stood there like he could've cared less... That tells me he's either totally clueless about blowers, or he knows exactly what he's doing, and I suspect the latter.

I'm still thinking, you know it happens during estimates also, the next time someone shoots back with a ridiculously low offer (like at least half off), I ought to come back with "Why so shy, you're already so far out of the ballpark why would you stop halfway down, why not just come right out and ask if I'd do it for free?"

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Heck, if the guy had offered me $100, I'd have taken it. Course, he would have needed another $100 to get the blower.

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

If you are running a yard/tag sale, post a sign that says "Early birds pay double posted prices".

This works equally well in advertisements: such as "If you want to bargain, double my posted price". I do realize that this makes the ad a bit more expensive, but well worth it in terms of the lack of aggravation from these annoying imbeciles.

6. suzuki4life

suzuki4life LawnSite Member

why dont you just ad 25% to your asking price up front then make him feel like hes getting a deal. I wanted 500 for a mower, and i listed it at 650. Now i got the extra 150 because this guy didnt want to bargain. However if he did, i would have gone all the way down to 500 knowing i was still getting what I wanted.

-zach

7. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

putting aside all of the aggravation you got from buyers,
    topsites, will you ship? if so, how much? and yes, i'll but the backpack for $200:)

8. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

buy***********

9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats why I like E-bay. I dont have to take the phone calls, wait for somebody thats never on time to show up and take up my Saturday, bicker with them when they are thinking they will steal it, then get disappointed when I have to do it all over again next weekend. Not a plug for E-bay!, but I've never not sold anything, and if I set a reserve, I get my reserve! I ship it when I get time to go to the post office.

10. topsites

Really? Yes, I'll box it up in a big cardboard box with plenty of insulation and we split the shipping 50 / 50 probably cost around $50 to ship, perhaps COD = +10 so uhm, 200 + 35 = you pay 235 and I pay 25 make up the total? That depends on shipping, it might be less but idk, regular ground.

Here's the deal: The On/Off switch is broken and permanently ON, you use the choke to shut it off and make sure you're done blowing before you do or it takes 5-10 or 15 pulls to get'r going thou 15 minutes later she starts 1st pull again. This has been like that forever and a year, the throttle and cruise control work dandy and the machine looks rough but runs solid. You can try and fix the switch, but I wouldn't, there are a slew of teenie parts inside those handles and the tool that comes with the machine does not fit the screws (that is a sign the manufacturer is telling you and me don't touch it). Do as you wish, it's probably just a wire come off, but...I can not give you a warranty but I give you what I describe, you buy it and it is yours but if you get a blower in 4 pieces that doesn't even run then I give you your money back but it won't come to that.

A new air filter and precleaner JUST got put on last week, a new Bosch spark plug comes with it pre-gapped to .020 but the old one works, along with the silly orange screwdriver and that special $15 tool to fix stuff, that's like $40 in parts you get. Also the owner's manual and original warranty paper with date (jan 02) with the serial number are included. The orange cover is off because I re-assembled it incorrectly when I replaced half the turbofan shroud 2-3 years ago, it gives it a Madmax appearance but you get the cover shipped with it, I've been using it without cover for some time and don't care for the stupid cover, I am missing the 3 screws that would secure it.

The starter assembly works good right now, the spring was replaced at least once as was the pall and the rope, some wd-40 got sprayed in there to keep it from rusting but I do not know how long the spring or the pall will hold, it may work for years it may need rebuilding soon again idk. Send you 6 feet of starter rope with it, you can cut to size as and when needed.

There is a small crack near the bottom of the frame, from when I ran over it with my trailer (which is how half the turbofan shroud got replaced) but after paying dang near $80 for half the shroud, I'm afraid the cracked piece would likely run near $100 and I didn't notice it until last week, so it doesn't affect the operation but be careful and don't drop it, always set it down nice and easy, yup. The plastic foam pad is missing, it always fell off and I got tired of it, just be careful when you put it on so it doesn't smack your lower back.

Probably want to contact me via my site's Contact form, if you're still interested that would likely be the easiest way, can ship as early as Monday, we might can do other payment arrangements.
    http://stonypointlawncare.com/contact.html