Ahhhh yes, the dead cat again!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by topsites, May 16, 2006.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You know it, you're working as you catch a whiff and you know something is dead around here...

So then you come around the corner with the weedeater and Ahhhhhhh !!!

Every year for the past three years I have run into this, so I just had to share my feelings about this subject lol
    And no, I can't do it, I can not remove the carcass, I just can not...
    It just has to disappear on its own heh

2. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

gahhhh lee I ain't ever run into that.... what happened to the cat? :confused:

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I run into squirrels regularly. Unfortunately they are in the lawn & the smell gets stirred up every time I kick them out the side. Yuck!

4. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

Topsides murdered him with a string trimmer!! :drinkup:

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Funny !!! :laugh:
    But, no.

The first one I found 2 years ago was so up under a plant I would dare say it crawled up in there to die.
    Other than the smell, it was the easiest to deal with because it was almost out of sight.

The second one I found last year was beside a busy road, so most likely roadkill.
    I almost ran over it with the mower first time ... Like I said, Ahhhhhhh !

This one... I don't know for sure, almost like it was just walking along the sidewalk and plop, fell over dead. It is so weird, it's just not the way an animal that knows it is dying, dies. So I thought about it and where this lot is there is a ton of tall grass and wooded area with a creek and stuff... I am thinking kitty went out and ran into a snake, and got bit. So it just didn't realize how the poison was messing with it until it paralized and died, that's the closest guess I can come up with.

Yes I know it's gross, the meaning of why this happens to me once / year escapes me thou in some ways I don't want to know.

6. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

this is my 5th yr and i have been dead carcuss free until this yr...minus a few birds and such...anyway, two weeks ago found the clients dead cat in the yard...called his office...secretary asked if i could remove it before the children come home...i'm like "ummm, no"....she sends someone to remove it...today, from the street it looked like a turtle...nope...a crazed armadilla (sp?)...those things just creep nme out...look like some dwarf dinosour...they have cool ears though...look like bat ears on roids...cut a nice circle around it...

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, on my Tuesday route I ran into URK (unidentifiable Road Kill) about 50 feet into the lawn. I couldn't make out what it was... but I'm hoping it was a kitty flitter... LOL... particularly the one who sprayed the seat on my Z while I was trimming last week.

Really dunno what it was or where it came from. A dog or some other critter must have carried it there so I could remove it. Ugh!

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Not many chinese restaurants in your area I see.

That was bad.

9. Picky1

Picky1 LawnSite Member

I got too close to a dead squirrel with my Walker I had and sucked it up into the box. I thought I was going to throw up before I dumped it. I could still smell that thing 2 block away after I got out of there.

10. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

Two years ago i was cutting an overgrown vacant trailer lot and smelled something dead. on the next pass the smell got way worse. the only recognizeable piece to shoot out of my discharge chute was the squirrel's tail. every time i went by, the smell made me want to puke, had to strain to hold it back. i ended up charging them a $10.00 dead animal clean up fee, didn't tell them i actually mulched it. anyway, i swear i could still smell it like a week later, horrible, horrible, horrible.