1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ahhhhhh Help!!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by iclgs, Feb 24, 2003.

1. iclgs

iclgs LawnSite Member

Did a large landscape job last spring. Had a guy put in a 5500 irrgation system. Did a bad job...but thought he had winterized as well. Got called to the site last week with a split copper pipe on the irrigation water meter!. After some more investigation found that the irrigation was in the ON position.

What are may chances of have or not having broken pipe under ground??? I guess it was my fault I didn't check.....damn it!!

What are my chances?????:confused: :confused:
  2. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I had a similar situation last year.
    A Customer had the system winterized and the city was doing some work in the street and damaged the system, the City repaired the system and then turned it on to test and the system never got winterized again.

This system had a damaged backflow preventer and a few valves damaged, could not believe it, I thought for sure we would be putting in a new system. It's been working for 2 full seasons now without any more problems.

Most likley,the system froze at the backflow preventer first, which would prevent water from continually filling the rest of the system when the valves turned on.
    You may be lucky enbough to just have to replace some of the outside plumbing and backflow, or it may be a new system. The only way you will know is to wait until spring and check it out.

Tell us the rest of this story. Was there an agreement between you and the Irrigation Contractor that he would winterize the system?

If there was NOT, I would expect at the least that he would have contacted the customer directly to arrange to winterize the system.
    What did the Irrigation contractor say when you confronted him with this?
  3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

speak with the irrigation contractor. did you have an agreement to winterize the system. if ther eis no written contract, the situation could get sticky. i do not know where you are from, but around here the frost went into the ground 12", so there is a good chance of damage to the system.

need more details though. please post more.

4. iclgs

iclgs LawnSite Member

Unfortunatly I didn't have a sign contract with the contractor. He is a bit of a jerk! I am in Michigan so the ground is very frozen!!!:cry:
  5. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I would recommend trying to find a Decent Irrigation contractor NOW to try and help you solve this problem once spring arrives. Everyone gets pretty busy in the spring and it could be more difficult finding someone to help out.

Give us an update in the spring and let us know how it all turns out
  6. iclgs

iclgs LawnSite Member

Do you guys know of any in the detroit michigan area??