Ahhhhhhhh Blow outs

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by lawns Etc, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

That's reasonable. Any cold call systems larger than 15 zones would get a remote pigtail and first season would be T&M. Once we knew the lay of the land, and with the remote and a quick-couple air connection,we could usually bang through most systems at the above price.

2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I would love to get $16 a zone. There's guys doing 10 zones here for $35
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Do you think the dogs really like Sports Center? What about Lassie, Rin Tin Tin or Scooby Doo for a change?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Mike Leary

If it's NASCAR or Hydoplane racing, Rosa is on it.

DSCN1900rosatv.jpg

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

No , you would be losing money on each stop

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

So what have they done ? , they have locked up that customer for the season . And on the spring turn on they find 3 or 4 heads to replace and bill a seperate labor and parts invoice . Plus they have a influx of cash to use for operating expenses . Its a simple loss leader . I have something similiar coming into play this spring.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I used to leave the tv on, with Animal Planet channel playing for the dogs to have some entertainment when I would leave them inside. One would get excited if he heard a doorbell on the tv. Sadly, he can't hear much of anything now, and is sleeping most of the time. His days are coming to an end soon, and he can't stand up on his own very well. I dread coming home lately, thinking that this may be the day. Took him for probably his last camping trip a couple weeks ago.

8. Mike Leary

You've got to spell out what winterize is all about: it's not all about air. It's about inspecting the operation of each zone/head:alignment, clogging, flow-by, etc. Air is great for searching for leaks, so attention to air bubbles should be noted during the walk-thru. Winterize can be done professionally or "show, blow, go". :hammerhead:

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Mike - on megas like yours, that will work. For 95-99% of the blow outs here, spending extra time which relates to extra charges, is going to mean a lean winter due to no blow outs. I walk around as much as I can and look/listen for leaks, especially on the drip lines though.

I did get a mega today, that I will have to go back for. Existing customer bought on a foreclosure and is fixing it up. 50+ zones, but get this. 24 are on the controller, and more than 25 Hunter battery op valve/controllers :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: Good thing is there was a sticker on the controller from a previous company working on it and I called him. He is going to give me some advice, seeing how I loaned him my backup compressor for four days.

10. Mike Leary

I know what your talking about about, Dana, but it's a matter of instructing the client what winterize is all about. :)