Ailing Bermuda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Josey Wales, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

Got a problem with this bermuda not fully perking up. It's been aerated about 3 weeks ago. Fert applied immediately afterward 21-7-14 @ 1lb N/1000 Sq Ft. Well watered.

Soil pH tested low @ 5.2 about 3 months ago and was limed at 45lb/1000 then at Extension Office recommendation.

I broke out the magnifying glass and really looked at the grass and found this.

Anyone have any ideas?

bermuda sample.jpg
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

take the grass sample to your local ag extension and have the horticulturist tell you what it is.
  3. Josey Wales

Got an e-mail back from my Extension service this morning. They say it's Helminthosporium fungus or "Leaf Spot". It's been wet and humid here and relatively cool last two weeks.

I can ride it out and let the grass recover or hit it with 6 to 11 oz/1000 sq ft of Daconil. I'll probably just leave it alone. This turf's been real strong so it should recover.
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the diagnosis made by your local office.

Sometimes you do everything right, and then the weather creates problems like this. Cool, wet weather is what triggers this disease to develop.

My reference material indicates that adding potassium and a higher mowing height would help control the disease. A fungicide should also help.
  5. Josey Wales

Thanks for the additional info. My last soil test back in January did show a potassium deficiency in addition to the pH problem. Man how I wish lime would work faster. :)