Ain't it the truth!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by steveair, Dec 2, 2001.

1. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

saw a small article in today's paper that really caught my attention.

It was titled:

"Development on mountains is environmentally risky"

The article discussed a 37 acre luxury development and chronicled a few of the homeowners who presently reside there. One resident had a septic field that oozed waste onto a driveway. Another had a house that encroached wetlands and the owner had to shell out 70K to solve the problem. Yet another claimed, "I'm the only person who can whitewater raft to grand union from my very own driveway".

From what I have been exposed too this year alone, I can picture every one of these circumstances in my head very clearly.

People are just out of there mind to even think about building a house, yet alone a 500k+ house in these new developments. Even worse, people are plain and simple Stupid for buying these houses.

I just loved this article and am clipping it out to keep on record. I have been on so many estimates this year for properties such as this and just can't believe the people bought the house.

When I give them prices for work, or tell them that I don't want any thing to do with their properties, they are usually very offended. When this happens from now on, I'm going to give them a copy of the article, and say, "well, you obviously had no clue on what to look for in a house, so why would I expect you to have any clue about landscaping"

Not sure how it is in other areas of the country, but here in NJ they are building on just about anything these days. I can't wait for 10 years from now and see all these young, arrogant people flat broke and living on the street because there house slid down a hill. I'm almost willing to put money on it.

steve

2. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with you on this one. I have had maintenance custs. in developements like those and it is the worst. The lawns need to be watered constantly to stay green because there is'nt much soil under them and when we get a dry spell all that rock underneath seems to just scorch them. The builders usually dump tons of mulch in the steep sloped beds and most of it ends up in the lawn.

Have you ever been to Vizcaya Estates in Wayne? It's a maintenance nightmare.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Land, (building lots), is becoming scarce. In my area its either hillside or wetlands. With the new Titile 5 regulations, as long as the wet area dosen't have Cat-tails or a certian kind of lizzered then some one can design a septic system. I can't picture me ever owning a new house with a huge mound of dirt with a white vent pipe sticking up in the back yard. I have a commerical property that has a new pump system for the septic and every time I mow near the vent pipe I like to gage on the gas thats ommitted.

Gene

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Steve,

It happened here.... 2 houses slid down the cliff... luckly no one was killed... these were your typical million dollar homes with a view.

5. Steve,

It means more money for me or it can cost me (well at least my folks).

The terrain I do a lot of work on is hillsides. It's incredible the amount of engineering that is required for some of these houses being built in my area. If you could find an empty lot, they sell and build houses on them. Many of these places have had houses on the site before, but were destroyed due to landslide problems. Because of modern designing techniques, they are able to build houses on these same sites. If I get a chance, will do a pic the next time I have a chance.

We were a victim of a landslide 3 years ago. Cost my neighbor and folks over $170,000 to build 3 walls to hold our hill. A few blocks from where I live, a whole mountainside came down. They did repairs to the hillside. I know for 24hrs a day for over three weeks, they were removing soil to stabilize and repair this hill. Each house in this special district that was created was assessed over $120,000 each to help pay for the repairs.

John