1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

air bags or helper springs?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by unclepaul, Dec 27, 2002.

1. unclepaul

unclepaul LawnSite Member

I have 1993 z71, I hall lawn equpment and will hall 5th wheel . Rear sags with grass clippings . Would air bags level truck with heavy loads better than helper springs? The truck is a 1/2 ton.

2. I have the helper springs on my truck. Keeps it from sagging and is much more stable on the road. Never used air bags.

3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

After taking a look at both, I went with the air bag route. I certianly have no complaints with them. I run level with my 4 car trailer on my pickup at only 50 lbs of air. My bags are rated for 100 lbs max.

www.macsspring.com

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I also went with air bags for my 02 P/S, happy with them so far.

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

forgot to tell you I have a 85 f-150, I put coil spring helpers on that, they do the job for that truck. I think there 1000 or 1500 lbs helpers. But for a newer truck I would go w/air

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you only have a 1/2 ton truck probably air bags are about the easiest way togo or you could install timbrens www.timbren.com

For heavier trucks like 3/4 tons and larger I prefer steel overload springs I go to a spring shop and have a set made and they are built to my needs. You gotta remember you only got a 1/2 ton truck so beefing up the rear springs doesn't give you more load carrying capacity because the rear axle and wheel bearings can't take it. With a 3/4 ton and a full floating rear axle your riding on 4 wheelbearings instead of two and its a heavier axle bigger tires etc.

7. unclepaul

unclepaul LawnSite Member

Air bags it is, now I need to find a manufacturer to spec out the bags for my needs. Thanks for your help.