Air brakes.....why not smaller?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Jan 9, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Why not have air brakes on say 4500/5500's or F450/F550 or even smaller trucks say 2500's/250's? Curious.

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

it takes some brains to use them and u need a cdl

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Yup. The may be fool proof but they are not idiot proof.

Special License. What about insurance?

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Size constraints is the biggest problem you look at the problem low pro trucks with 19.5 wheels with trying to make air brakes fit in a 19.5 diameter rim. The hydraulic disk brakes are pretty good for 1.5-2 ton trucks better than the old days with rear drum brakes and disk on the front the 4 wheeldisk stop better.

Air brakes should be standard issue on anything bigger than a 550-5500 sized truck like a 650-750 etc.

5. FosterLawnscaping

FosterLawnscaping LawnSite Member

You do not need a CDL in the good old USA to operate an air brake vehicle unless it is over 26000 lbs. Don't believe me? read the book. I've had my class A for a few years and thanks to the DOT man I know the rules. Don't say it takes brains to use them, I'm sure you've seen some of the idiots that drive semis. It takes brains to work on them and adjust them properly.

Air brakes have pros AND cons just like juice brakes. In my opinion more pros than cons ( I won't get into that, irrelavent).... BUT I simply don't think they are needed in a truck until you get into the cdl range. Properly functioning hydraulic brakes on a properly loaded truck will stop perfectly fine. The only reason for air brakes on a small truck would be so the driver could pretend he had a big truck.

Air brakes on a pickup would raise the sticker price significantly also. You'd need compressor, tanks, more guages fit into the dash, another knob or 2, another handle on the column, complete different setup at the wheels themselves and so on and so forth.

Just my 2 lucky pennies worth.

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I just think it would be cool..............here's a real question:

My truck = 25,500 and trialer is 10,000...........GVW

Combined GVW + CDL but no trailer = CDL not needed.

Truck is tagged 35,500........do you still need a CDL to drive it without the trailer being behind it (remeber, the truck itself is 25,500).

7. PSDF350

PSDF350 LawnSite Member

GVW over 26,000 you need CDL. I also beg to differ on the no CDL for air brakes.

8. FosterLawnscaping

You need a cdl if it is tagged over 26000. However if all it will ever tow is a under 10,000 lb trailer you don't need to have combination plates and can leave the truck tagged at 25,500.

9. FosterLawnscaping

If the vehicle is under 26,000 with air brakes you do not need air brake endorsement.
    If the truck is over 26,000 with air brakes you need both a cdl and the air brake endorsement.

Stop in the next weigh station you go past and bother the DOT guys or give them a call if you don't believe me.

10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

thank you ive been driving a tow truck with airbrakes for about a year now and i dont have a cdl and in many other threads i say i dont need one and no one believes me