Air Brakes

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by srl28, Apr 19, 2007.

1. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

In talking to my truck dealer while looking for a larger truck, he was saying that there is no cdl needed for driving a truck, under the 26,001 lb limit. Is this true? If so is there any proof? He siad it is a common misconception that you need a cdl for air brakes. Anyone know if this is true or not? If it matters, I'm in NJ and all our work is as well. Thanks

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

long as the truck doesnt weigh in over 26001lbs you dont need one...best bet, go to the DMV and get a commercial drivers license book and it will answer all you questions...that way theres no debates 100 posts long on the need for airbrake endorsments or not.

3. srl28

I wouldn't think so but......... Anyone else?? Thanks Dirt Digger2

4. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I know that you do not need a CDL for a truck under 26001 lbs here in Florida. As for air brakes that is a special endorsement down here. You can get a CDL with or without air brakes. I do not know if you would need to get the air brake endorsement for a truck under 26001 lbs.

5. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

if the truck is under 26000 u might not be getten true air brakes, they might be air over hydralic...and u will need a dot number and probably a H.U.T permit.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If it has air, you need a CDL, that's federal DMV law. States vary as far as combination vehicles limits go, but if you're running air, you need an endorsement.

7. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

In VA if the truck is under 26000 lbs you do not need a cdl with or without airbrakes, if a vehicle is 26001 or more you will need a CDL, if it is 26001 or more with airbrakes you will need a CDL with the airbrake endorsement....Most trucks
    under 26001 will not have airbrakes.
    Andrew

8. srl28

The only reason this truck would have airbrakes is because the dealer would de-rate the truck to under CDL limits and the truck would have airbrakes still. Royal Truck is who said this is feasible.

9. DKinWA

DKinWA LawnSite Member

Per one of our local Washington state commercial vehicle enforcement officers, "the cdl requirement has absolutely nothing to do with the brakes". Over 26,000 you need to pass the air brake test to have the air brake "restriction" removed from your license. I would check with your local commercial vehicle enforcement officers so you know what's required in your state.

10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

You need nothing more than a regular drivers license until you reach 26,001. It does not matter if you have air brakes or not. There are many trucks under 26,000 with airbrakes that are NOT "de rated".

"De rating" is a another whole argument.

After 26,001+ you must have a CDL and if it has air brakes you'll need the endorsment.

So, no you do not need a CDL for your truck because it is under 26,001 and the brakes have nothing to do with it. You do not need a DOT either if you stay in NJ.......cross state lines etc, yes.