Air Cleaner on New Super Z...No Inner Element

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by TonyMeister, Mar 5, 2006.

1. TonyMeister

TonyMeister LawnSite Member

I just took delivery of a new Super Z 60 Inch with a Kohler 27 on Friday.

In looking things over on the machine, I noticed that there is no inner element inside the air cleaner...just the main element.

The Kohler manual clearly shows the presence of an inner element.

Has something changed on the new machines whereby they no longer need the inner element? Or is this an oversight from the factory?

Thanks for your help...Tony

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Kohler manual shows their stock filter system (Nelson).
    We use our own filtration system (Donaldson).
    We do not use a inner filter.
    You are not missing anything.

Pj

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am an authorized Kohler and Kawasaki dealer. The filters are intended for use with 2 elements. I beg to differ, but you are missing something. You are missing the second stage of the cleaning process. Yes, you certainly can run only one element. But, that inner element is cheap insurance against a failure in the outer filter. Why take the chance. Install that inner filter. You probably will only have to changre it once every couple of years. But, if you see a bunch of dirt on it, you know your outer element is no longer doing it's job, and you still have protection for your engine.
    Sorry PJ, but I just have very strong feelings about this subject.

4. TonyMeister

PJ...Thanks for your reply to my message.

I am a little concerned about not having an inner element on my machine since almost all other brands use one.

Doesn't the inner element further reduce any particulates that could make their way into the engine?

Why did Huslter choose to replace the stock setup on the air cleaners with Donaldson?

Thanks, Tony

5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

It's an option. I purchased the inner filter just because it can't hurt.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Yes and no.
    In our application, filter mounted up high and away from the dirtiest part of the mower, we do not see any issues with the application of 1 filter.
    We have used this set up on all our commercial riders for about 4 years, and I have never heard of a engine failure because of inadequate filtration.

Pj

7. TonyMeister

Please forgive me if I sound ignorant, but I'm new to this. I think I would feel more comfortable having the inner element there too. Does this mean that I need to get rid of the Donaldson outer element and purchase the set made by Nelson? If so, does anyone know the model numbers I need to buy? Thanks, in advance, for your help. Tony

8. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I used the inner element once. Engine would not idle. Took out inner element and it worked fine. Threw out inner ellement.

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

No, we offer the inner element as a part, if you want to install it you can.
    It is Hustler part # 785279

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Another good point....
    These engines are very touchy in the area of emissions, and may or may not run right with the additional filter.

Pj