Air compressor cfm and hose size?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Apr 14, 2009.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We are considering changing our air compressor and have a question on hose size. What size hose do we need for a 60 cfm compressor? We have been using a 20 cfm compressor with 150' of hose on an air powered hose reel.

Almost all of our blowout connections are standard hose bibs with maybe a 1/2" opening or so. And this has worked well for us as long as we did one zone at a time.

Can we do multiple zones with a 60 cfm compressor?

Thanks ,

John

Snow should be gone this week. Jeez.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sure you can do multiples with 60 cfm, and you could still use a (heat resistant) garden hose for air. About now you'll begin to regret using cheapy (small opening) hose bibs and boiler drains.

3. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks WB for the insight. How about your opine on hose size?? The hose bibs are what they are. PVC pipe fittings with 1/2" fpt and the hose bib. But the fpt fitting is only 1/2". Standard install around here.

O.k. for discussion sake, given that hose bibs are in place, am I going to gain in time saving with a 60 cfm unit over our 20 cfm unit like I hope?

John

4. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was on a job today and the last guy blew heads off.
    Tops were missing from 6 rotors and 4 others were intact, but completly out of the ground.

I have no idea what he used since I'm new to the cold country, but geeze.
    There's a hose bib before the PVB, so he must have used some major stuff.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Hose length figures into the needed diameter. At a hundred feet, you could live with 5/8, but if you're putting 150 feet on a reel, you might as well go 3/4

You might keep an eye on whether hose bibs make a difference. Old ones (like Nibco or Lee, with aluminum handles) can be more wide-open than imports with cast handles.

6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Most residential & small commercial blow out ports here are through a 1/2" fpt 'heel tee' on 3/4" or 1" copper off the POC to the manifold. There's either a boiler drain in it or just a plug. I've cleared up to 4 zones at a time using 125cfm with 3/4" heavy duty (red and/or black) garden hose. Zones w/6 rotaries each.

The OP might get 3 resi zones together with 60 cfm. Your mileage may vary.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I use garden hoses, easier to hump and work fine for 3-4 zones at a time.

8. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably a big compressor with no regulator.

9. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have installed 1" quick connectors on all my systems, and I use 1" air hose.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

As long as you have some way to alter the psi of the compressor depending on the size of the the system, you'll never blow anything up; unless you need work.